Vocabulary

JohnD

Many years ago, the 10CR was supported here by a glossary of terms and words from the vocabulary of car parts and their ills, in several languages, to assist the participants in case of need.   That list has long gone, but does anyone have copy, please?     

I ask, because I'm improving on my school French, in preparation for the next Classic Le Mans.    My team colleagues had none, and my school memories were concerned with the cake on the table, with how many glasses of wine.     I could recall 'pneu' and 'essence', but the French for spark plug or track rod end was as Greek to me.    That list would save me a long search through the dictionary, before I could even start to learn the words!

Thank you!

John

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

but the French for spark plug or track rod end was as Greek to me. 

Spark plug = Bougie (candle think about the origins of car ignition)

Track rod end = Rotule de direction (rotule is also the name for the similar type of joint in the human skeleton)

Something that might help as well:

'Oh dear it is broken' = Putain merde c'est foutu!

Bonne chance & bonne route

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, yorkshire_spam said:

I suspect this isn't a direct translation... even with my meagre understanding of the French language words like merde and foutu stand out as not quite matching the English given 😉

The art of translating is to not make it a direct translation but is what would be said/written in the other language . . . 🙄

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, JohnD said:

learn Parisian argot!

NO! don't do that you would very unpopular.

Here we differentiate between the 2 types that have a 'residence secondaire' in the area - Parisian and parasite.

But yes, a glossary could be useful.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PeteStupps said:

@JohnD I haven't seen the list to which you refer but i've got an old AA European driving booklet, which has useful translations for all major car component plus travelling phrases for typical 1960's holidaymaker. I'll dig it out and scan it.

Pete

I bet it has some stuff that will be very dated and hilarious by modern standards. The car components part will still be valid.

There is a French  "Revue technique" for the Spitfire MkIV/1500 that looks and smells a lot like a translated version of the official repair manual: Same pictures (right-hand model etc.), same structure etc. and thanks to the pictures you can figure out what parts are what.

Easily available from any online auction house for about 20-30 of your EU €s...

29 minutes ago, JohnD said:

What a good idea!    But Amazon lists nothing of the sort.  Where have you seen them DVD?

Were you looking at Amazon FRANCE?

As you are looking for something in French you are better looking at sites such as these.

https://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_auto/2140947035.htm

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/144879198423?hash=item21bb7920d7:g:TJkAAOSwOlBjrxzl&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoId3Mz4KOMFSdVDXWzUSYo1sMLJKuem%2FfKQY6QN8E5MuUAeuNmHB2cl2X4pLym70v%2BIz1%2F8uCt6kPrQ59arhjpy0EErrAXAFGYQxJtAcfeVhnLuJ28aa3G7iyeWy%2B7soStey0oeXiFjimblOM8eoNby0GC5i5Mvn72gnUAn%2Bvn%2FUkzYw6YBHNzN2nAVmcelzbRarWL6KU%2FbC0cbiIGTrPrY%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR6Si1e6yYQ

These are currently on offer, they might be what you are interested in.

I check these sites plus another each morning for a particular piece I want that is clearly as rare as the proverbial hens teeth.

• Thanks 1

Oh, Doh!    Another tick in the dementia diary.   Of course, look on French websites.  Good practice, anyway.

A Bientot, mes amis!

John

PS just shows what you learn about people and their society through language.       I could find  only two books in French about Triumphs, both on Amazon and both "Actuellement indisponible", but lots of "Carnet d’entretien voiture"   - maintenance logbooks; record how you look after your car!     OK, most cars in the UK have booklets for the owner to have their garage stamp as it goes for service, but I never seen on that you bought apart from  that.     And, the workshop manuals for specific cars are as M.Rosbif a dit, un peut cher!     But search for parts catalogues, and there are lots, and I can get one for a Citroen for only 5 Euros!

Mais, malheuresement!   The auction site (Leboncoin) won't accept registration from the UK!    BARSTARD BREXIT!!!   And Amazon de France lists three  catalogues, again all 'indisponible'.  But then!  On Ebay France, 

"Album de la maison Lespinasse et cie Rouen

Catalogue de pièces pour voitures "ressorts essieux ferrures..."

This is relic of the earliest days, when blacksmiths made parts for cars!    

1795277236_catalogueinfrench.jpg.868004c68e49098888a32fa21760264e.jpg

This has already taught me 'vis', a screw and 'ressort' a spring!    Gotta have it and only 12 Euros.  Thanks guys!

But Pete, if you still have that old AA booklet, a scan please?

John

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Adrianb said:

Might go thru the Arc de Triumph as well!

The gendarmes won't like that, although it is a great roundabout. Just pluck up your courage, don't look in the rear view mirrors, if there is a gap go for it before someone else does. The last time I went round my wife just stared at her feet, I was well pleased with myself as I intimidated a bus and won - dont' think he liked being beaten by a 'provençal'.

If by any chance you are going at the beginning of February the big classic car show Retromobile is on.

Bonne route

Gendarme = Gen d'arme ( armed person basically)

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Mon Dieux, mon vieux pote, Pete!  C'est le dejeuner complet!  Je suis - er - overwhelmed!

Learn all that and I will able to  manage Renault F1!

Thank you!

John

my my - thats impressive. You can even find them on amazon at a reasonable price:

Conversation Handbook for Tourists: Amazon.co.uk: Irving & Paul Francis Webster Aaronson: Books

or

Conversation Handbook for Tourists: Amazon.co.uk: The Automobile Association: Books

I can recommend installing duolingo on your phone. My french is improving drastically after I started competing with the kids at home using the app.

Cheers

Nick

As rosbif will know, France has the pleasure of TWO police forces, Les Gendarmes National and La (!) Police National.  The first, along with the Army, Air Force and Navy, is part of the French Armed Forces and is concerned with rural France, but the need for and duties of both are beyond me.

Hence Officer Crabtree of " 'Ello, 'ello!" fame, was a Gendarme and wore the kepi, the pillbox cap of the French military.

John

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

France has the pleasure of TWO police forces, Les Gendarmes National and La (!) Police National.

Add to that Police Municipale, employed and controlled by the city/town council.

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

The first, along with the Army, Air Force and Navy, is part of the French Armed Forces and is concerned with rural France, but the need for and duties of both are beyond me.

Gendarmes as you say are military, Police Nationale are civil (and as such are allowed to belong to a union unlike military personnel). Both come under the responsibility of the Ministry of the Interior. Their roles are the same, and again as you say, the Gendarmerie is found in rural areas such as where I live and the Police Nationale in urban areas. Both armed as standard.

The gendarmes are the descendants of the maréchaussées, created during the 100 years war to police the conduct of the army - hence why they are military - their role was extended to civil duties in 1536.

France does like to make things complicated whenever it can 🙄

• Thanks 1