Collecting a Motorbike from France

Anthony

I've seen a motorbike that I'd like to buy, but I'm in Kenilworth, Warwickshire, and the bike is located in Saint Tropez, France -- about 1,000 miles from me.

The bike is a collectors item and has only done 2,500 miles from new, so I don't want to ride it home.

Has anybody got any ideas/suggestions regarding how to get to France and bring the bike back?

I'm guessing I could hire a van and put it in the back (making sure it's properly secured).

But, I haven't (yet) found a company that will allow me to take their hired van out of the country.

And, they seem to impose a 100 mile per day driving limit, after which they charge 20p per mile, so that's likely to add an additional £380 to the cost.

Anybody got any suggestions?

These days I recall there are a lot of EU non tarrif trade barriers. These include licences for commercial vehicles / drivers so a single door to door trip would be complex and expensive.

If the bike is rideable and licenced, you could hire a van in Europe to bring it to one of the channel ports / tunnel. Ride it on to the ferry and off back into the UK. Then you have to sort out the paperwork at customs on arrival which very very important as there may be tax implications.

Once this is sorted you could hire a van in the UK to bring it home and sort out the registration.

FYI I took a UK vehicle to Bulgaria and reimported it a couple of years later about 12 years ago when the EU trade barriers didn't exist.

Good luck

34 minutes ago, Howard said:

FYI I took a UK vehicle to Bulgaria and reimported it a couple of years later about 12 years ago when the EU trade barriers didn't exist.

Good luck

I imported to France a car from the UK in 2015, pre Brexit of course, and it was straight forward. Now that the UK has left the EU paperwork and taxes, let alone transport will be far more complex.

I would look at getting a French transport company collecting it and taking it to a depot near a port and you picking it up from there.

Good luck.

Thanks Guys.

Although the bike is currently located in France it is still registered in the UK.

The plan is/was to:

1) Go and inspect the bike;

2) Do a bank transfer and complete the V5 document;

3) Bring the bike home.

Due to sitting for many years I don't want to start the bike until I've got it home and given it a thorough service and going-over.

Plenty of places hire vans you can take to france, you just need to keep searching. I guess that will be the most cost effective method of collection as you want to inspect the bike over there. 

Plan b, fly out, inspect, and then get shiply or similar to quote/collect.

A few years ago I imported French registered bike from France and hired a UK based man with a van to collect it via the ferry, both ways. All I needed to do on its arrival was complete the NOVA documentation. Very easy, but as mentioned above, it may be more difficult now that we are out of the EU. As yours is already UK registered it should be easy.

Edited by sparky_spit

Thanks again all.

A bike trailer would certainly be an easy option. 

As I don’t have a tow-bar I’d have to price that up against the cost of hiring a van.

If I hire a van I’ll have to pay a mileage excess, whereas if I use my own car I’ll save on that, but would have to pay for a tow-bar (which could come in handy again in the future).

The bike trailer is probably the way to go, but if there are any other suggestions I’d still like to hear them. 

Thanks,

Anthony. 

Anthony,

I shall be going to Classic Le Mans at the end of June, travelling in my TRansit  race truck/camper van.   I take a pushbike with me, securely strapped to the back of the  front seats, where a motor bike could go as well.     An excuse to drive on after CLM and go as far as St.Tropez would be difficult to resist.    

If you wanted to follow the first part of your plan, see the bike, make the deal and then wait six months, I would be glad to discuss providing transport.

John