Recarpet Triumph Herald & soundproof

keith417

I am wanting to re-carpet our Triumph Herald (Ruby) and at the same time do some soundproofing. In particular I want to get moulded carpets as the carpet I put in previously came in flat sections and the area around the gearbox has never looked very neat (lots of folds etc). The only supplier of such seems to be Newton Commercial. Has anyone had experience if their moulded carpets, or can anyone suggest any other supplier? Also any suggestions for what kind of soundproofing to use at 1. the bulkhead, 2. around the gearbox & transmission tunnel and 3. over the floor areas?

Newton are the only maker, but cheaper buying from other suppliers rather than direct. I fitted a couple of sets over the years, all very good. 

For soundproofing, I have used Silentcoat as a thin, dense sound reducer. It would work well on a gearbox tunnel, especially if you have a modern replacement (the old pressed cardboard type are very good in that respect) 

One of the most important things is to make sure any unused holes are sealed and those with cables etc have swell sealed gromits fitted. Likewise around tteh gearbox tunnel a good seal is essential.

The moulded carpets come with underlay of sorts attached, so extra not really worthwhile on the floors. The cars are never going to be very refined.

18 hours ago, Rosbif said:

Same name as we gave my 13/60. Bought as a ruby wedding present to me from me, plus it happens to be dark red.

We also bought ours in the week of our Ruby WA. Ours is red and white! Photo taken last Friday (10th Feb) - Drive Your Triumph Day. Cross Keys Swing Bridge in S Lincs. in background

IMG_3799.jpeg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Clive said:

Newton are the only maker, but cheaper buying from other suppliers rather than direct. I fitted a couple of sets over the years, all very good. 

For soundproofing, I have used Silentcoat as a thin, dense sound reducer. It would work well on a gearbox tunnel, especially if you have a modern replacement (the old pressed cardboard type are very good in that respect) 

One of the most important things is to make sure any unused holes are sealed and those with cables etc have swell sealed gromits fitted. Likewise around tteh gearbox tunnel a good seal is essential.

The moulded carpets come with underlay of sorts attached, so extra not really worthwhile on the floors. The cars are never going to be very refined.

Thanks Clive for the response. V helpful.

15 hours ago, Wendy Dawes said:

I bought a piece of carpet from eBay 2m x 2 m and made my own carpets for my herald, very therapeutic sitting on my drive in the sun hand sewing all the nicks and tucks but turned out ok used the old carpet as a template 

pictures before and after 

EB57894E-83C5-4DED-A1E4-8F9CE9ECE9FF.png

A5028DC9-D4BD-4D6B-A6D6-5F3F94546C57.jpeg

57C3469A-5731-45A8-858D-593B43305F52.jpeg

7D3F98B6-8EFB-4C7B-93B9-A52991CF9CB0.jpeg

ADC4FA84-29B1-44AC-A1E8-B5737A0A2609.jpeg

Well done. A good job.

• Thanks 1

Hi Keith,

James Paddock do a moulded carpet set, although only in black. 

https://www.jamespaddock.co.uk/carpet-set-moulded-2

£245 + VAT

Newton Commercial do them in different colours as well:

https://newtoncomm.co.uk/collections/triumph/products/herald-saloon-convertible-post-june-1962-moulded-carpet-set-rhd

£295 + VAT

Maybe have a conversation with Paddocks and they might be able to do a coloured set for you.

50 minutes ago, Tim Bancroft said:

Hi Keith,

James Paddock do a moulded carpet set, although only in black. 

https://www.jamespaddock.co.uk/carpet-set-moulded-2

£245 + VAT

Newton Commercial do them in different colours as well:

https://newtoncomm.co.uk/collections/triumph/products/herald-saloon-convertible-post-june-1962-moulded-carpet-set-rhd

£295 + VAT

Maybe have a conversation with Paddocks and they might be able to do a coloured set for you.

Thank you, Tim. All avenues appreciated.

It's Ruby's Big Six-0 on 1st March so we're giving her a make-over this year. However, sadly due to family matters it is unlikely that we'll be doing the RBRR. If not, Chris & I would still want to come to Knebworth with Ruby to see you all off.

On 15/02/2023 at 19:50, Wendy Dawes said:

I bought a piece of carpet from eBay 2m x 2 m and made my own carpets for my herald, very therapeutic sitting on my drive in the sun hand sewing all the nicks and tucks but turned out ok used the old carpet as a template 

pictures before and after 

EB57894E-83C5-4DED-A1E4-8F9CE9ECE9FF.png

A5028DC9-D4BD-4D6B-A6D6-5F3F94546C57.jpeg

57C3469A-5731-45A8-858D-593B43305F52.jpeg

7D3F98B6-8EFB-4C7B-93B9-A52991CF9CB0.jpeg

ADC4FA84-29B1-44AC-A1E8-B5737A0A2609.jpeg

When you are free.....the home living room awaits you!!

I purchased a full interior re-trim kit for my Vitesse during it's restoration between 2002 and 2007, I think I got the best price via Canley Classics for the Newton Commercial re-trim kit & Moulded carpets, although James paddock where near on the same price too. 

The carpets are an excellent fit (Especially around the gearbox tunnel and front footwells) due to being moulded to the correct shape

I fitted additional heat resisting silver type reflective material to the underside of the Gearbox tunnel, rivetted and glued in place.

I also fitted stick on bitumen type sound deadening to the outside of the tunnel and all footwells, I believe a material called Dynamat is also a popular choice with people.

Not sure how much effect the sound deadening had, but it must help and the heat resisting materials certainly helped with the heat problem.

Here's a photo

Gary

Interior 2 - 2006.JPG

On 17/02/2023 at 14:24, garyf said:

I purchased a full interior re-trim kit for my Vitesse during it's restoration between 2002 and 2007, I think I got the best price via Canley Classics for the Newton Commercial re-trim kit & Moulded carpets, although James paddock where near on the same price too. 

The carpets are an excellent fit (Especially around the gearbox tunnel and front footwells) due to being moulded to the correct shape

I fitted additional heat resisting silver type reflective material to the underside of the Gearbox tunnel, rivetted and glued in place.

I also fitted stick on bitumen type sound deadening to the outside of the tunnel and all footwells, I believe a material called Dynamat is also a popular choice with people.

Not sure how much effect the sound deadening had, but it must help and the heat resisting materials certainly helped with the heat problem.

Here's a photo

Gary

Interior 2 - 2006.JPG

👍

On 17/02/2023 at 12:49, Velocita Rosso said:

When you are free.....the home living room awaits you!!

🫣😂

• Like 1