2000 Estate barn find Leeds

Hamsie

Hello all,

I hope this is a useful post.

Due to a recent bereavement my wife’s grandmother has need to dispose of her late husbands car that has stood neglected in a garage for decades and will require extensive restoration.

It is a 1969 Triumph 2000 estate registration OUH170G chassis MB16339SCBW.

I have photos I can share if anyone interested. 

We are currently waiting for a new V5 to be issued. We have original green paper log book and glove box owners handbook but have not yet located a key set for the car.

If you are interested in vehicle I can be contacted at Martin.hams@btinternet.com

Many thanks

Hi all, just to say that car is located just outside Leeds in Kirkstall area. I took photo of mileommeter to get mileage and as best I can make out it is 69K.

As an aside - , many years ago I was forced to sell my lovely Vittesse 2 litre Mk2 with a genuine workshop manual(not Haynes - factory one in large red binder) and special number plate H007H, not a happy experience.

Want to make sure this car is given a chance before grandma sells it for scrap value.

Thanks for looking

Hi all, great to see the interest in the car. It has a Yorkshire Television sticker on it as my wife’s grandad worked for them putting up sets initially then later on working on outside broadcasts of football matches here in uk and abroad. He developed a keen interest in computing and provided the early system that displayed statistics for the football matches.

Wishing you all fun in your projects

• Thanks 2

• 3 months later...

Hey all
I am the new proud owner of OUH 170G, we rescued it yesterday from the garage it had sat in for a whopping 39 years..... untaxed since 1984!

I originally saw it on Facebook and instantly messaged, with intentions of racing it. I'm a banger racer but do have a bit of love for old classics, got an Austin Metro HLE, Hillman Imp and a couple of K10 Micras along with a couple of slightly more modern "classic" crocs.
Anyway, I sent it to my mate Dan and he said I should go for it, then when I got the details and arranged to view, both me and him went over to take a look. He's into his classics and I've just bought a Porsche 924 for him which we are going to restore, also saved from another banger racer who was gonna race it but couldn't be bothered with the hassle of building it in the end.... so they just ripped half of it apart and chucked the bits in a scrap car.... ideal as now we have an incomplete resto project lol

Anyway, back to the Triumph.... he had ideas of restoring it and I was just eyeing it up for racing in my head, but I did admittedly have a slight suspicion that you just never know, it might be too clean.... but we had no idea what it was gonna be like until we got there and saw it. Upon arrival, both of us realised this was a real time warp that had been saved from rotting away thanks to being locked away in this garage for all that time. I have to say it's been extremely kind to the car, we only found 2 tiny holes in the whole car so far and don't expect to come across anything else truthfully!

So here we go, in memory of David, £510 spent and a team of 7 men to drag it out.... me and Dan are going to be restoring this one alongside the Porsche 924 Project. I'm just thankful to Martin for getting back to me and Annie for letting herself part ways with her husband's treasured gem. We are going to take good care of this one, get it back on the road and drive it back to her house and take her out for a ride in it. 

The car will be on display at Otley Classic & Vintage Transport Show in September, regardless of the condition it's in. We hope to have it somewhat roadworthy by then but this is by no means going to be a show car, more a preservation project for the time being. Maybe one day I will go to the extent of getting the body prepped for a full respray in the original blue colour, but we shall have to wait and see.

Also to anyone in the club who may have spares, we are on the look out for a few spares. These include a pair of front indicator lenses, engine serviceable parts, gasket set, drivers door mirror, front bumper overriders, windscreen & rear window rubbers, potentially a front brake disc conversion if such thing exists, a new front badge and also considering a set of Triumph Stag alloys if they fit. 

May be an image of text

Edited by Nat270
  • Like 3