locking passenger door handle

A TR7 16V

Quoted from A TR7 16V
Yes, but given a locking handle that takes a key, can the car then be locked and unlocked from outside, presuming the inner mechanism, as described above, is not used or disabled?

Graham.

If only.......The drivers door also has the same @push forward@ locking mechanism in addition to the key on the outside. Unfortunately the 2 are separate. Many a time, I've locked both door from the inside...with the only way to get in by using some of that packaging strip to feed in through the windows and painstakingly grab the handle and pull to get in.... All the key lock does it stop the button pushing in, as does the handle when pushed forward.

Driver's door on ours only locks with key, and the inside handle doesn't go forward. Though I do note it opens from inside when locked from outside, and, IIRC, closes again. I assume the LHD sports six had a left hand door that only locked from outside and a right hand door that only locked from inside.

I wasn't expecting the key to override pushing the handle forwards, i.e. be able to lock from inside and unlock from without. And I'm not sure only being able to lock from outside is any better than only being able to lock from within. And being able to lock from both sides but then unlock only from that side might confuse everybody – hence I'd disable the inside mechanism with a locking handle.

So it would be more interesting if the button could be made to override pushing the inside handle forward. But given the possibility of getting a locking passenger handle, might it be used?

Graham

My drivers door doesn't lock from the inside, either. With regard to having a push-button lock on the passenger side, I would have thought that all you need to do would be to use the locking button from a drivers side  handle....the locking mechanism is entirely self contained within the button, its not however something I've ever looked into because my car being a ragtop, I never lock it anyway.......so there may be some reason why you can't adapt a locking button to the passanger side, but I can't see why not!

Quoted from willows40
Early herald I think had locking handles both sides, my early couple had locking handles both sides

Cheers Andy

Correct

Trouble is the Mechanism's where diferent to later cars (After 62 I think?) with everything built into the Door Handle?

Don't think the two are interchangeable but I may be wrong (Bill where are you?)

Quoted from garyf
Don't think the two are interchangeable but I may be wrong (Bill where are you?)

They are interchangeable, sort of. The handle, lock and internal door release need to be changed together as a set.

When the new door locks were introduced in 1962, the cut-outs in the door shell were altered at the same time. I have swapped early and late components within a door, early mechanisms into a late door shell if I remember correctly. Everything fitted properly, but having the wrong cutouts made getting my fingers into the necessary places rather more difficult. Fitting late locks into an earlier door might raise bigger issues, but at worst it's likely to be no more than easing a few cutouts with a Dremel.

On the other hand, I can confirm that a late drivers door push-button can be used to convert the passenger door to external locking. On any later car, this would be my chosen path, the early locking mechanisms being somewhat fragile,

Cheers,
Bill.