Spitfire Mk2 Suspension

Fraserh

Hi There, I have recently taken over the ownership of a Mk2 Spitfire that has been well taken care of and kept as original as possible. I am no stranger to older cars having driven an Austin A40 for a few years,  but noticed that the front of the Spitifre is really quite "bouncy" and harsh on the road. Can anyone advise

a. is this relatively normal for this car

b. any suggestions that may improve the situation 

Many thanks

Fraser

If the front is bouncy that suggests it's under-damped over over-sprung. What's the ride height like? Some of the cheap after market dampers are too weak, or the originals might just be past it.

Crashy harsh rear could be because the leaf spring is rusty and not moving freely. 

My mk3 is pretty well setup but is harsh on rough ground compared to my 1300 saloon of the same vintage, though. So depends what you're used to, to some extent.

Thanks for all of the info and quick replies. I am sure  there may be a bit of me getting used to the handling but pretty sure something is not  right. Its 20 years since the car was last restored and though it has done very few miles the shock absorbers will be my first port of call I think. 

What are the best recommendations for replacement shock absorbers looks m like my options go from £70 for something close to original sec through to hundreds.

3 hours ago, Fraserh said:

Thanks for all of the info and quick replies. I am sure  there may be a bit of me getting used to the handling but pretty sure something is not  right. Its 20 years since the car was last restored and though it has done very few miles the shock absorbers will be my first port of call I think. 

What are the best recommendations for replacement shock absorbers looks m like my options go from £70 for something close to original sec through to hundreds.

What do you want to use the car for?

I think you have a lot of choices, Konis are mostly agreed on as being the best, other uprated brands such as Spax and Gaz get mixed reviews. Downside of Konis, cost and no adjustable spring seat and to adjust them you need to remove them from the car. I've abused Konis and now wouldn't use anything else for serious use.

For a more budget option, I also heard good things about KYB, but I don't know how readily available they are these days. I also see some suppliers are offering "Monroe" branded shock absorbers, but I don't think these will be the same as the Monroe of old but maybe still better than the basic generic ones?

• Like 1

I can't recommend anything but just warn that I bought new 'standard' rear dampers from one of the more reputable suppliers, and they were complete rubbish. Way too soft so not really doing any damping, so the the rear would oscillate up and down at certain cruising speed and wobble over bumps. Put the old rusty ones back on and they've been fine.

If I was going to replace them now I'd go for Konis but they ain't cheap.

Edited by PeteStupps
Typo

• 4 months later...

Been a while since I posted on this but have spent the summer getting the bonnet changed back to correct layout for Mk2 ( was mk3 before)  so patch panels and a lot of fettling! I have tidied the outside up with a  respray so that I could get it out and enjoy it in the better weather.  Now coming on to the mechanicals as autumn approaches. The front suspension is quite bouncy and on closer inspection the front sits much higher than the back.  The coil springs already look   well compressed and close together so not sure if there is much room for improvement  without  replacing them. The rear is absolutely where the harshness is coming from  ( thanks PeteStrupps ) so will try and work some lubrication into the leaf spring. I assume any penetrating oil will do the job. Few pics for interest.

respray.jpg

bonnet.jpg

• Like 2

I would check the rear shocks to see if they have been changed to adjustable ones (have small screw or knob somewhere) as these can cause harshness. The front may have been modified too as spacers (a ring above or below the spring) can be used with stronger springs which will tend to raise the ride height...

Fraser, take some pics of the front suspension and I am sure someone here will be able to advise.

Rear spring may be past it, about £100.00 from Canleys. They buy from Britsh Heritage, so good quality. To fit, can be a pain, so a 'Spring Lifting Tool' is useful. Have a look in a Haynes manual has an illustration. TSSC site has them for sale at £60.00, an essential tool for small chassis cars. Relatively easy to make.

https://www.canleyclassics.com/?catalogue=triumph-spitfire-mki/ii&diagram=triumph-spitfire-mki/ii-rear-suspension-propellor-shaft-and-road-wheels

1 hour ago, Martins Stag said:

Fraser Penetratingly oil may help but I used to take the spring out and put copper slip in between the leaves and I used to make sure there we no sharp edges to the tip of the spring leaves too so that the leaf springs slide well on top of each other... . 

Then of course you can get into replacing the sliding plastic buttons between the leaves👍

• Like 1