Pom Down Under

What is the best way to reset bonnet hinges when they sit too high with bonnet closed. It is almost as if the hinge itself is not set low enough. I'm sure you will not need a photo to show what I mean as many sedans I see have bonnet sitting proud when closed - so it's not just mine!      :-/

Thanks Ted.  As I suspected, sledgehammer and semi-gentle sandwich material!      ??)

Other than that is there no more subtle way?              ::)

Interestingly I have just used the sledgehammer method to fit the lower piulley back on to my PT Cruiser - it was bl**dy hard to remove with a puller (and equally hard to put back on) purely because it is costlier to use keyways, I guess - so they used an interference fit (very interfering!).      

Perhaps Chrysler adapted Triumph engineering and adjustment techniques?     :-/

1526 wrote:
Seem to remember that Alan Chatterton said something about this on the Register Forum a few years back.  His solution if I am correct involved a very large piece of wood and a very large hammer which apparently left no marks(pray)

Ted

He might also have used a blanket to protect the paintwork.

Alan C ....... now where is that man when you want him! ;D

Ted

I'm here!!!

Sorry, been busy this weekend. We're having a huge Joint 40th Birthday party this evening for Sam & I...... so my sister, her husband and 2 children are over from sunny California, and its the first time the "cousins" have ever met. We've been doing family things to get them to bond.......... going very well, and they are all now firm friends (apart from they think each other sound "weird"!

Anyway, to business.

What happens is that the bonnet hinges get strained due to the pressures of when the bonnet it open (being windy don't help either) and over time, the leading edge of the bonnet lifts up and it looks daft.
What need to happen is the hinges need bending back down.
The best way to do this,............ I know it sounds drastic, but honestly, it works......... is by hitting it!

Put a nice thick towel on the corner of the bonnet, just by the hinge. Then, using a nice large piece of wood (a 2x2 or 3x3 will be fine across the corner, then hit it with a large lump hammer. Gentle and first, then progressively harder, checking after every hit until it sits flush again. Repeat on the other side.

The towel will protect the paint, the wood spreads the load. It will not damage the bonnet. I have done this many times on many 2000 cars. I mentioned this on the Register forum last year and I think I had messages from about 6 members who had done it and ended up with nice flush looking bonnets.

It needs some "brave pills"......... but it will work.

Honestly.

Hope this helps, good luck!