Spitfire 4 Bonnet shape

junkuser

After owning this '62 Spit for 30 years with a rolled under nose and radiator grill displaced back about an inch and a half I am attempting to restore it to the correct shape.
So far I have pulled the nose + grill forward to approx where they should be and the contour of the nose in the horizontal plane looks about right.(same as panel behind bumper)
There are no Spitfires in this area (Rathmines NSW Australia) so I don't know what the contour should be it the vertical plane.    No photos I can find show the shape clearly.
If someone has a Spit with the original bonnet shape and could post a photo taken horizontally across the nose it would be appreciated.
Any suggestions on a better approach would also be appreciated

Not easy to do well methinks. I put repair panels in on that RH front wing, indicator lights section and front bottom wing where it joins indicator/side light panel. If you leave a 5 mm- cm lip you can insert the peice you want to add under that then weld along the lip, grind down and fill and it'll be ok. So if you have the right shape front section you could extend it like this. Or if you don't have the right front section might be better to get one, either new if someone does 'em (probably considering front shunts) or second hand off the Graveyard or something, then weld it in. I know Richard will ship a whole bonnet but probably pretty expensive.
Or you could buy a rotten bonnet with this section in good nick, they go first at the wheel arches and D plates where water pools, then get the seller to cut off the bits you need and ship 'em over.

Just had a looksee at Canley's catalogue sez BONNET TOP PANEL SPIT I/II/III    1    £225.00 proly about a hundred or more to ship

Or you could extend it with fiberglass

There is enouugh metal in fairly good condition to beat it into the correct shape I think.
Tried to put a photo in this reply but couldn't work out how to do it.  Could copy but not paste.
How do you insert photos?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived