How I Grew to Love the Round Britain Reliability Run

I’ve taken part in the Round Britain and finished in 2008 and 2010 in a GT6, failed to finish in a Spitfire in 2018 and breezed round in 2021 in the same Spitfire.

This may come as a shock to many of you but I hated the entire experience with the exception of the 2021 run.

Let’s break down each event.

In 2008, my co-driver, Theo Boonen, flew over from the Netherlands and after leaving my house just outside Glasgow, we motored down to the Stone Trough for an overnight stay, the meeting place for the Pendle and Pennine group at that time.

Martin Randle, who lived locally came in and joined us for a couple of pints.  We were all in high spirits.  Martin went home for his tea and shortly afterwards, Jon Ranwell, another stalwart of Pendle and Pennine walked in and another few pints were dispatched before he left and then we headed off to bed at a very late hour.

Let me make you aware, this is not the way to prepare for the RBRR the next day.

I don’t remember much, or anything, of the journey down to the start at the Plough at Enfield.

The effects of our celebrations the previous night began to take their toll in tiredness and the event became to resemble something like the seven stages of hell.

Things took a turn for the better, when the water pump let go just as we had left Land’s End.  I had a spare water pump though.  Unfortunately, I had made the decision to leave it 560 miles north of where we were.  What’s the chance of a water pump failing on a car that is only used periodically. 

Quite high it would appear.

We pulled into the Tesco petrol station in Penzance and contemplated going home on the back of a yellow lorry.

One thing in our favour, we were the third car out of Land’s End after having a bit of “my car’s quicker than your car” banter with Paul Darbyshire.

As a result, the entire entry piled into the petrol station behind us and David Aspinall offered a new water pump for a very, very reasonable price.  Fortunately, Theo is an excellent spanner man and soon had us on our way again.

By the time we got to the finish, we both headed straight to the hotel nearby and had another pint.  I don’t think I even finished mine as I was so tired.

All the way round, I don’t think I enjoyed myself much and felt pretty miserable during most of the experience.

Only when we stopped at controls and I got out of the car and met some of my fellow “sufferers” did I get it – the whole camaraderie thing that is the essence of the RBRR.

I didn’t enjoy the experience much – until we reached the finish and the euphoria erupted with the realisation that we had only gone and done it!

And that is the entire reason for doing the Round Britain, that sense of achievement that you’ve accomplished something pretty extraordinary that will stay with you for a long time, if not the rest of your life.

Two years later and I’m back again in the GT6 for the 2010 event.

This time with my good friend, David Huddy.

I’ve learned something from the previous event and modified the GT6 to make it more suited to the run by getting rid of the sporty exhaust with it’s nasty booming vibration at any speed between 50 and 70mph, the speed that you drive the majority of the route with the exhaust resonating in your skull for days after.

We still don’t have a working heater and this was the thing that made this another unpleasant experience.

The cold, more than anything, saps your strength and makes sleeping in the car more difficult.  As time goes by, this more than anything makes you want to give up.

This time it was exacerbated by a clunking noise as we headed north.

At Conon Bridge, we had the back wheels off, checking the back axle and the brakes but nothing seemed untoward.

We made the decision that this was our jolly boys outing and if something were to go wrong, we would deal with it when it happened and happened it did.

On our way out of Wales, the M5 resembled a canal with some of the heaviest rain I’ve ever experienced.

Heading down the A30 we hit a deep puddle and immediately the noise from the back made us aware that the exhaust was dragging on the road.

Turns out that when I replaced the exhaust, I was ignorant to the fact there was a support clamp to be fitted halfway down the pipe.

The weight of the exhaust and the puddle pulled one of the supports through the boot floor and the mystery of the clunking noise that had kept me awake for nearly 24 hours was finally solved.

Anyway, a spare boot lace from the toolbox secured the exhaust for the next 800 miles till we got home.

However, our problems were still not over as coming out of Bude, the GT6 lost power and cut out.

Faffing about with the electrics seemed to get us going again but by the time we reached Tavistock, the problem returned.

A gaggle of crews stopped to help and we managed to limp our way to Badgers Holt where we could only make our way out of Dartmoor by reversing up the hill out of the control with David chasing me on foot.  Hilarious fun.

We eventually dragged the GT6 out to Ashburton and phoned Tim Bancroft to tell him we were out of the event for all intents and purposes.

But Triumph folk are resilient and soon Nick Jones arrived from nowhere after a call from Tim with some electrical bits and bobs and a replacement coil.

With his help, we made it to the finish but again this was another two days of purgatory experienced before feeling the elation of finishing the Round Britain and now it all seemed worth it.

Turned out our problem wasn’t electrical but the carburettor linkage had somehow slipped with only three cylinders getting enough fuel.

Five minutes back home and it was repaired.

Amazing what can be achieved when you’ve had a good sleep.

I had now learned my lesson and had no intention of ever entering again, however, my daughter passed her driving test after previously failing for speeding.  Never been such a proud Dad!

Katy announced that she now wanted to do the Round Britain with me and being a good Dad, what was I to do?

So, in September 2017, I started looking for another Triumph having sold the GT6 a number of years previously.

In February 2018, I bought a rust free, Delft Blue Spitfire 1500 which didn’t seem to have done much mileage since it had been restored a couple of years before.

I soon discovered why, when the wheels kept trying to detach themselves from the car.

It had wheels not suited for the Spitfire and studs that didn’t seat in the hubs.

A new set of Minilites and some Freelander studs and the problem was solved and our entry to the Round Britain was confirmed.

The engine never sounded that brilliant and during the run north, it seemed to be getting much worse.

The major bugbear of the 1500 engine, the big end bearings were on their way out.

Having no heater was again a problem and that and the engine sapped my energy and enthusiasm and so, at Stirling, we retired since we were only 16 miles from home.

We were gutted.

But not defeated.

We started preparing for the next RBRR.

Through the pandemic, the engine was rebuilt by a race engine builder who now worked on engines in his retirement.

LED headlights were fitted and, believe me, if you don’t do any other improvements to your car, do this.

To paraphrase Clarkson, looking original is less important than being able to see where you’re going.

The heater was sorted, and again, one of the best improvements you can make to your car for the Round Britain.

New standard height front springs and shocks were fitted, which improved the ride quality and handling no end since the old springs seemed to have been completely compressed.

A problem with the overdrive was sorted and now worked properly.

Most of the other work had been done, so the car now drove and stopped well and could comfortably cruise the long distances.

In 2021, we set out from Knebworth in a car in which we were confident that it could complete the event with no major issues.

Apart from a scare with the light switch in the middle of the night in Wales that seemed to sort itself, we cruised round the event only with a clunk from what seemed a half shaft slowing us up in the run in from Badgers Holt.

Something else that we did differently from all the previous events was to throw out the spreadsheet that told us when to change drivers and instead drive until I felt tired then wake up Katy who would have had a decent sleep.

Finally, I can honestly say I enjoyed every minute of the 2021 event.

I loved Nigel’s route, the preparation, the atmosphere at the start at Knebworth, just driving the Spitfire as it was made to be driven, driving in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere, the epic time in the Premier Inn after the finish but most of all, I loved doing the Round Britain with my daughter, Katy, and the special father/daughter moment in the finish car park at Knebworth. 

That alone is something she’ll remember after I’m long gone.

And now, after all this time, I can positively say that I can enjoy the thought of taking part in another Round Britain Reliability Run.

Which is why, Katy and I are entered as crew No. 21 in the 2023 event in the Scotch Pie Hunters Spitfire.

Cobra stripes rule!

244303088_2521051131370169_1615698706777897486_n.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

One of the reasons I wrote the above post, particularly for first timers, was for them to understand that it was normal to have to deal with tiredness, a car that keeps needing constant attention to keep it running and regretting ever entering the event when the adrenaline wears off somewhere far up the A9 in Scotland at four in the morning.

However, the great feeling of accomplishment on completing the run will make up for it a thousand times.

When you pull into the finish car park, there's just this euphoria that you have done something really special - driven nearly 2000 miles non stop in around 48 hours in a car that should only be polished for short Sunday afternoon runs in the country.

You set yourself, your crew and your car a challenge and you've acheived it.

Even if you don't finish, it's not the end of the world - and there's always another RBRR in two years time and now you'll have learned a lot about the event, your car and yourself.

There are few other experiences in the classic car world like this and as the future is electric (apparently), they will, sadly, disappear.

So, make the most of this while it lasts - you won't regret it.

Do your preparation and planning, swap drivers when they are tired, pace yourself, this a marathon, not a sprint.

Get into the hustle and bustle at the controls and the start and finish where you'll meet new and old friends, revel in the driving roads that Nigel has planned for you.

And most important of all - enjoy yourself.

Club Triumph - The Club That Does.

Haven't heard that for a while.

Jim.

Edited by McJim
  • Like 7

Your posts wonderfully convey the nature of this event Jim and should be essential reading for all first-timers. I have been enjoying the unique atmosphere of the RBRR since 1974 and whilst this year will see me breaking my long run of starts I fully intend, DV, to be back again in October 2025. I would like to take this opportunity to wish all participants safe motoring and the very best of luck and to thank Tim and his organising Team and all the volunteer marshals who turn out willingly, often at ungodly hours to assist in the smooth running of the event.

Tim

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

How I fell into the RBRR!

My first RBRR was in 1998 when I entered with the event in my GT6 with my old friend, Diz. I had entered in 1994, but withdrew as short of money that year. I attended the ‘98 Drivers Meeting and alarm bells started to go off, blimey, it was a little more involved than I had perceived! 

Before the event, I met up with Diz and over tea and biscuits we decided upon our game plan for the event, the main one being tat as the engine in the GT6 was a tadge tired, we would not exceed a 3500 rev limit……

So the start day arrived after some time leading up to the RBRR fettling the GT6 in the garage, I duly picked up my old friend Diz in Staines and after purchasing a new top hose from Six Spares in Twickenham (Bill Livingstone, where are you?) just in case the one on the car split on the way, therefore, totally ignoring the advice from Derek Pollock at the Driver’s Meeting about replacing parts before the event, we got to the start at about 16.00hrs.

Back then the start was at The Plough, Crews Hill and cars left at 19.00hrs. Off we all went after being let out en masse by the local Police onto the road by the pub. The traffic was horrendous and sure enough once onto the A1(m) we got stuck in a traffic jam 50 miles short of Blyth Services. Anyway, we eventually arrived at Blyth and joined the queue for the signing of the road book, once signed and without any faffing around we left for the next control at Edinburgh Airport. In all the times I have now entered the RBRR, I cannot remember hitting a traffic jam since the 1998 event…an amazing fact!

So, the epiphany moment came as we were driving past the cooling towers at Wetherby on the A1(m) and in my rear view mirror I saw relatively dim yellow lights with other cars coming up behind us, these having dim white lights, this could only mean one thing, Triumphs! These were a yellow TR3A and some Triumph saloons. They went charging past, the TR’s 4 pot singing away and then 4 or 5 2000 or 2500 saloons howling away, making that weird noise of synchronised drone at some 4000 rpm. I looked at Diz, said, er (or words to that effect), lets go, knocked her out of overdrive and chased that pack…hang the 3500rpm limit….it was a sensational moment that resulted in addiction to a car event!

The TR3A, was the car owned by Andy Flexney, a fantastic example that has just sold to John Bonnet in the West Country. Its a great vehicle. As for the Saloons, one of them was definitely Nigel Gair’s superb blue 2000 mk2, a car that revs and could well feature on this year's event!

And that was it, after 15 years of ownership and not really doing anything with my GT6 apart from attending a static show or two, I had found an event that one could enter without having to spend lots of money to make a car race or rally competitive.

After the 1998 event, it all went a bit quiet again on the car front until the 2000 RBRR was announced, I duly entered and also wrote upon the postal entry form that I was willing to help Derek and Nigel in any way that I could. Another life changing moment, as Derek took me up on that offer and I joined the team, and in 2004 assumed the role as main organiser as Derek by then felt some new blood was needed.

So 25 years later, the RBRR is still having a massive effect on how I live my life and it’s all down to a simple 2 minute moment on the A1(m)!

(Not sure why this is all in 'bold'...)

• Like 5

Prologue: 

In 2012 my Land Rover 110 (CSW, 300TDI) is sitting in the driveway rotting away due to a lack of usage and it being too expensive to use as my daily commute car. My wonderful wife suggests selling the Landy and getting something we can enjoy as a fun car that will fit in the garage. Something where I don't have to worry about it being back on the road for the commute on Monday morning. The Landy was duly sold and the hunt for a "fun car" starts, MGs, Triumphs and even MX5s were considered and inspected, eventually I put a bid on a Spitfire 1500 on eBay and bought the car!

And so I joined the CT forum, started to attend the Pendle and Pennine area meetings and in due course joined the Club.

The First RBRR:

And so, in 2013 with the car becoming a bit more reliable, rewired and various parts replaced. We start to think about how to mark my 40th Birthday in 2014. It is suggested that we do something as a bit of a one-off and enter the RBRR. At that time with bills to pay and a young family the expense of doing the run was seriously daunting, but with a year to plan and save it seemed do-able.
Time flew past and all of a sudden there we are at the Plough with all the other entrants. My mum and step-dad are down in London staying with my aunt and uncle, so they've taken the tube up to the Plough to see us off! Feeling a bit like a fish out of water and wondering what we've got ourselves into I make a point of speaking to @Tim Hunt as I know from the forum that it's the 40th anniversary of his first RBRR and it's my 40th Birthday year!
And off we went, heading for Blyth through the north London traffic.

image.png.7b9fbbdf5e1ebbea10723107da4accca.png

The whole event was hard work. Seriously. I found it almost impossible to sleep in the car and by the time we reached Tebay it was a case of "I sleep now, or we can't continue". I managed to get enough rest to keep us (safely) in the event. The charge south through Wales re-energised me and on we went. The next big issue was as we approached Bude, my wife's health issues started to really affect her and I had to take over and drive the rest of the event. We made it back to the Plough at around 6:30pm after fighting the traffic around the M25.
image.png.fec91206cd9e14275523938bd1786318.png

I would have loved to stay and watch the other crews arrive, but was worried about driving back to the hotel, so we headed back. I slept for 14 hours. 

At that point we concluded "glad we've done it, but never again", but Martin's passing changed our minds so in 2018 we came back for another go, this time as a 3 person crew in the Dolomite.

image.png.f77092e695bc0c995efeb38918016b46.png

Sadly on that occasion illness got the better of one of our crew just before we reached John O'Groats forcing us to bow out and turn for (the long journey) home. 

Which brings me to 2022, I'm musing on Facebook about whether or not I'll ever complete the RBRR again and an old University friend pipes up and wants to have a go... so here we are, 2023 a new co-driver and another go at the event. 

Learned to Love the RBRR? Not sure, but very much want to address the unfinished business of 2018 and give it at least "one more go"

• Like 2

So I've now completed 4 RBRRs 2 in my TR6 and 2 in my friend Simon's Stag. I have also prepared a 2500TC for my uncle and cousins to use in 2021.

I first came to the event in 2014 because my friend Simon had a Stag, was a member of CT and really wanted to do the event and needed a co-driver. We had taken his car to Classic Le Mans before and it seemed like a good idea (doesn't it always!). We rocked up to the Plough and was amazed by the number of cars (I am not sure any more could be fitted into what is quite a small car park). The run went surprisingly smoothly until we arrived at Gledrid services, at which point Simon head an worring rattle from the timing chains in the V8. Amazingly, in the car park was a chap who rebuilt Stag V8s for a living and we got him to have a listen. His prognosis was stretched chains.. not good.. However it happened that Gledrid was the stop closest to Simon's home so we slowly and carefully drove the car back home, had a brandy and went to bed..

Not daunted (in fact we now felt we had unfinished business) we committed to having another go in 2016. I helped Simon replace the stretched chains and in 2 years we were back at the start of the RBRR. This time everything worked beautifully. The car drove fabulously with only a random electrical issue which meant all the interior lights would turn on randomly in the middle of the night (quite off putting!). to mar perfection.

My third RBRR 2018 meant I moved to another car. This time my own TR6, and a different co-driver, my sister (who wanted to do it to celebrate her 40th birthday). We were also joined by my uncle Bryan and cousin Paul who attempted it in their TR4A. This turned out to be an epic trip for them, top down, and Bryan was 80 yo and stay awake for 48 hours diligently reading the map when he wasn't driving! For us the trip generally went well, the car has a supercharger and it drove very well.. We also had a hard top with webasto roof which I think my uncle thought was cheating!. We were not without technical issues however.  A random/worrying temperature fluctuation was traced to the oil cooler stat switching in and out. The shroud around the steering column sheared meaning the stalks turned with the steering unless you held on to them, the throttle cable snapped near stevenage on the last leg and we were approached by a spooky farmer who we don't think had anything on under his overalls and seemed interested in getting aquainted with my sister, and the gearbox began to lunch itself (dodgy rebuilt and supercharger torque not helping). We did however get home safe and sound.

My most recent RBRR was a return of the TR6 and sister combo (she said "never again" directly after the 2018 event but oddly asked to be considered as co-driver for 2020(21)... RBRR is adictive... This time with the issues sorted (I hoped). Uncle Bryan and cousin Paul also returned although Bryan was dealing with terminal bowel cancer so felt he couldn't do the TR4A again. Undaunted I offered to provide a 4 seater saloon for him, Paul and Paul's 2 brothers. Slight issue was I didn't have a saloon! So we searched fleabay etc and ended up with a 2 owner 2500TC in blue, nicknamed "the beast". 18 months (luckily RBRR was moved back a year for COVID) of welding, rebushing, de-bumpering,  and a respray and the beast was prepared..  According to my sons it was the best triumph we have ever had.. and we have had a few. This RBRR went without a fault despite the potential disaster of being the only person who knew how 2 of the cars worked! My uncle and cousins loved the beast and joked that compared to the TR4A it was like driving the RBRR on a sofa.  Perhaps the most memorable moment being having a video call at 2 am in Monmouth services with my cousin in Australia who was supposed to be driving the beast but COVID restrictions in Australia stopped him from coming over. He watched the mayhem which is a RBRR control live and has promised to try and do one in the future.. The only issue we had with the TR6 was a minor flood in monsoon rain in glasgow which meant damp legs for driver and co-driver. 

So now another car (Stag 3.9L RV8) and back to driving with Simon, its going to be fun.. And even better, I beleive the new owner has entered "The Beast" I look forward to a reunion with the old blue jalopy!

rbrr.jpg

20181006_095900_resized.jpg

IMG-20181007-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20181224-WA0004.jpg

2021-10-03 17.58.18.jpg

2021-10-02 07.36.38.jpg

• Like 3