Decoding VIN number

Dan

Good Morning boys and girls,

I'm in need of some help, I purchased a 1963 Herald 1200 last year and I'm currently restoring it, but I noticed a two shades of grey on one of the chip and this got me thinking about the colour.

I've done some digging and I understand that the GA is Herald 1200 and the DL is Saloon which checks out but I cannot fathom out the number, as I'm let to believe it should indicate base colour then shade and if there is a secondary colour and well my number on the VIN doesn't follow this logic.

Mine is White over Grey, and the lady who I purchased it from advised it was Phantom grey, but I'm not sure. So my question is can I find out how my car left the factory as I would like it to be finished as per factory.

Many thanks in Advance

Dan

55 minutes ago, Dan said:

Mine is White over Grey, and the lady who I purchased it from advised it was Phantom grey, but I'm not sure. So my question is can I find out how my car left the factory as I would like it to be finished as per factory.

Phantom Grey is probably correct, it was a Standard/Triumph colour at the time. Our Standard 10 Companion was built in Oct 1960, same colour. The white is probably Nimbus White. Again our Standard is two tone and those are its colours.

Follow Clive's suggestion of contacting the museum for the codes.

If it turns out your colours are Phantom Grey and Nimbus White when we first got the Companion Craftmaster Paints have the codes and mixed us the paint. All was well until a local Neanderthal poured paint stripper all over the car (and got away with it) so we had to repaint the car again. To cut costs, and because modern paint suppliers don't have all the codes I colour matched the grey to a RAL colour RAL7011 You could do the same for the white using swatches.

A mammoth restoration task  but will be a lovely car when it’s done.  It looks  original colours to me .  Lovely combination  the vin plate will show 2 paint codes as per photo of my car vin plate 

the two numbers show the colours on the car and can be matched  to the photos  of triumph paint codes I posted earlier 

hope  this helps 

IMG_1221.jpeg

Edited by Wendy Dawes
  • Like 1