Fuel pump

BurArrow

Giving the fuel system a strip down currently, replacing hoses with R9 ones, fitting filter all of that good stuff. When it came to the pump I snagged a new one from rimmers https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-208493 as it says should fit my herald engine (GAxxxxxxxHE) The old one has no spacer and is marked AC on the top, when I pulled it off found that the arms are slightly different angles and the new one is certainly harder to actuate with a bit of a rough molding.

Is this going to cause me a headache, should I be rebuilding the old one?

WhatsApp Image 2023-10-03 at 20.40.52.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-10-03 at 20.40.43.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-10-03 at 20.30.57.jpeg

I would be inclined to rebuild the original if it is playing up. Or leave alone apart from cleaning the gauze filter if it was working fine.

New pumps have a poor reputation for putting out too high a pressure. Fixable by using a small spacer or something. Also worth checking that the new pump is OK without a spacer as I would not be surprised if they only sell one type of pump? (later cars use a spacer about 8mm thick)

• Like 1

Unless youre thinking of sending the new pump back I would give it a try. You'll know pretty much straight away if its got a problem because the carb will overflow and if not one of the pumps can then be a spare which is always useful to have...

The original pump you have there with the cast arm is the best type and easiest to rebuild (non-return valves held in with a plate and screws rather than staked into place), they're rather well made. I wouldn't throw it away in any case.

Personally I would prefer to rebuild it, it's not too hard, I've done a few, but the last one turned out to be impossible to stop leaking. Overkill, but after that I gave up on mechanical pumps all together, and fitted an electric Huco pump in the boot.

Edited by JumpingFrog

Thanks all!
I gave Rimmers a call and they confirmed that the new pump is okay to use, they get this asked plenty it seems. Will double check pressure to be on the safe side.

The old pump diaphragm is pretty knackered so it would need a rebuild and the lot was filled with degraded rubber from further up the line, I'll hang on to it and snag a rebuild kit when I next have to get something!

Let us know how you get on with it as its good to hear the successful cases as well! However dont forget that, as with many of our spares these days, a particular item will generally all come from one unknown manufacturer in the far east so no matter who you buy it from in the end the choice comes down to price + service and unfortunately not the quality or suitability of the product☹️

• 4 weeks later...