Seat belt fitting in 1961 Herald Convertible

Mike Smyth

Hi All

just joined Club Triumph and straight onto asking questions...

Just got my first classic, which is a Triumph Herald 1200, 1961 Convertible and want to fit seat belts front and rear, for added safety of family and 2 dogs !

I've heard that that the inertia type are difficult to fit but as I'm a novice can anyone offer assistance on how to fit belts, which type are best and what to look out for.

many thanks

mike 

I fitted them to my 1971 13/60 and don't like them so will be going back to static belts sometime. I have MX-5 Tombstone seats though and think they'll sit better with standard seats. Other people have fitted them and get on with them better so a lot comes down to personal preference and probably the exact fitting of the retractor.

You need Securon 514/30 with the adjustable retractor which needs fitting to the wheel arch. Lots of discussion and opinions where exactly this goes.

Here's the Securon page on the belts - http://www.securon.co.uk/fitting/extras/514fitting.htm

More discussion on this topic here -

https://www.clubtriumph.co.uk/forums/topic/17843-inertia-reel-seatbelts-in-herald-convertible/#comment-193226

Good luck with the Herald.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Smyth said:

@Rosbif - spoke to Rimmer Bros and they told me the ones they sell didnt fit ?...where did you get yours from ?

I got mine from a supplier here in France so that won't help. They are Securon, check out their site for they angle adjustable mounting types. They took a bit of time to mount so they worked correctly but once fitted no problems

http://www.securon.co.uk/seat_belt_harness_tech_specs.htm

1 hour ago, Mike Smyth said:

thanks both, appreciate the feedback and tips👍

@Rosbif - spoke to Rimmer Bros and they told me the ones they sell didnt fit ?...where did you get yours from ?

@cirrusdancer - ill take a look at those links, thanks again

I recently fitted some to my 1964 vitesse. It had never previously had seatbelts fitted. 

The fixings are there, just hidden. The top of B post ones are 2 tapped holes behind the top front corner of the rear/side 1/4 trim panels. The centre one is a pair of 5/16 tapped holes on top of the prophaft tunnel about halfway between the back of the handbrake and the rear seat.  Bottom of the B post I couldn't find anything, so drilled and bolted.

I used Securon belts in silver/grey which seems more "period" than black. I used these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252826767132

I used a piece of 3mm steel bar to make brackets for the top of the b post. And the same for the top of the prop tunnel, but welded an upright section of the seattbelts to bolt to. I can take some pics on Sunday when the car is returned by my daughter after it was borrowed when hers went wrong a month ago...

Most of the bolts came with the seatbelts. The top of teh B bost I used a bit of steel plate, 4mm thick. The 2 philips head screws (5/16 unf thread) were already there, the hardboard had the holes precut. And there are bits of threaded bar factory fitted to make the fitting (reasonably) strong. I cut the steel plate to shape, drilled holes and painted them.

The top of the gearbox  has a pair of 5/16 unf tapped holes and I made the bracket. Ahain 3mm steel, and welded a vertical triangle for the belts to bolt to. A simple bit of steel bar with a slight bend to enable the large seatbelt bolt top be fitted would be more simple. 

Bottom of the B post is just a hole. 

So teh only things not in the kit were 2x 5/16unf bolts (about an inch or so long) and the 3 brackets.

Hope that helps.