Steve P

I have a pair of HS6`s that will be going on the 2.6 in my Vitesse over the winter,i`ve heard of people getting the manifold machined.Is this to even out the 6 degree cant of the saloon engine?,if so do i get the manifold engine side machined or the carb mount side and are they supposed to sit at 90 degrees to the engine when done.
Cheers
Steve

Yes it is if you are using the long tract manifold from a later saloon. I have heard that it will fit with no machining, but you need the sprint dashpots.
If you are using the std vitesse inlet manifold that either needs adapter plates, or modifying to accept HS6 carbs.
The manifold machining sounds a bit of a pain. I thought about it, but decided it wasnt worth the grief. I think that the flange gets thin, and so needs bullding up on the back of the machined face so it will still bolt up to the head.

I had a 2500S manifold machined at the c/head face, and it did reduce the upsweep markedly. The next step was to have the carb mounting face cutoff and rewelded to the manifold to further improve the situation. However, at that point, I sold the manifold and carbs(with dolly sprint d.pots) when I decided to fit the triple SU's to my GT6.
I understand the 2500S manifold/HS6 combo with Dolly Sprint d.pots will fit under the Vitesse bonnet with no machining.

I have a friend with a fire breathing 2 litre GT6 on the 2500S manifold adapted as above. The car has very, VERY impressive torque and power.  Infinitely better th the standard manifold.

The HS6 has a float chamber attached to the body of the carb by a single bolt.  The faces clamped by the bolt are shaped to maintain the angle required so that the chamber is upright on the canted T2000 engine, OR may be reshaped in manuafacture for any other application.  A cunning piece of production engineering!
Some work with a file will allow the faces to rotate and have the chanber upright on an upright Vitesse engine, or a TR.  You can pin the joint again after checking the alignment and tightening the clamp bolt.

John

Archived