Mk3 Spitfire gearbox

TRev

Hi All, I have a Mk3 Spitfire fitted with a Triumph 1500cc engine and would like to fit a Mk3 Spitfire Overdrive gearbox to it. Is it possible to get a clutch with a 7 1/4in dia. drive disc with a 10 spline to fit this engine and gearbox together ? Thankyou

You can just buy a 71/4” clutch plate with 20 spline , Im planning to fit J type box in my herald in spring and I’ve just had to obtain a 61/2” 20 spline plate. They’re about £20 on eBay and new old stock is relatively plentiful  on these 

11 minutes ago, TRev said:

Thankyou glang for the link above, I had looked on their site but could not find what I wanted, plenty of complete kits. Thanks again.

I "think" that plate is from a morris minor/sprite or similar, which may help in the search.

Canley Classics should be helpful (and very knowledgable, unlike the bros)

• Like 1

Well I cant see complete kits with that plate but presumably you use it with a standard 1500 diaphragm cover/thrust bearing which hopefully will work with your gearbox. As Clive says would be good to get confirmation from someone knowlegeable...

Hi Guys, I am based in Auckland, New Zealand, my spitfire is a 1967 imported to NZ as a used UK car in 1972. When I brought the car as a restoration project in the late 1990s in had a Toledo 1300 engine and a HB gearbox with overdrive which didn't work. Over the next 20 years the car has been restored and fitted with a 1500cc engine and single rail gearbox from a Dolomite TC but still with the 4.1 diff and GT6 brakes in more of a clubman's car.

I have been a long time user of CTs forum and remembered a post about using the 3 rail gearbox with 1500 engine (thanks thesrcapman) but came unstuck when I could not remember which car the clutch plate came from. Both Rimmers and Canleys websites don't help much when you know the spec but not which car they are from.

IMG_0929.JPG

8 hours ago, TRev said:

I have been a long time user of CTs forum and remembered a post about using the 3 rail gearbox with 1500 engine (thanks thesrcapman) but came unstuck when I could not remember which car the clutch plate came from. Both Rimmers and Canleys websites don't help much when you know the spec but not which car they are from.

This link should give you some ideas for finding one, possibly within NZ

https://britishclassicspareparts.com/product/clutch-driven-plate-7-14-1098cc-mg-midget-austin-healey-sprite-morris-minor-austin-a40-farina-mk2/