Hs2 piston springs

2009poolesparky

Are you sure they are stretched? I ask as they are quite long compared to in the carb, and I have never seen a damaged one.
I have checked springs to see which ones I have fitted on "unknown" carbs. I used digital kitchen scales and a ruler....compress the springs bu an inch and see how the "weight" changes.

Also I am trying to get my head around the effect of stretching. I think it may richen the mixture.

SU's are very clever, and not always what you expect.
There are 2 things that affect mixture. One is the needles/jet, thinner the section of needle more fuel can pass. So higher the piston.needle the richer the mixture.

However, the lower the piston the faster air travels over the jet. This sucks more fuel. This is the reason putting thicker oil in the piston damper means you get more and longer enrichment during acceleration (lots of people think thin oil gives more enrichment as the piston rises faster-wrong!)

Which one of the above has the bigger effect? well, it has to be a mixture of the 2. Lacklustre acceleration may be down to thin oil in the damper...or just poor setup. I can get a car to run OK, but I know a couple of people who are magicians with SU's. That is what you may need.

Helo Poolesparky/Clive,

I think it's worth looking at the engine as a whole, not just focussing on the carburettors,   a lot of people are set on going by the book when timing the engine but that doesn't necessarily give the best result so the carburettors get blamed as the 'timing is spot on'.

Alec

Yes I was just asking as I'm running out of ideas what it could be now. I have been working on the car, replacing and fixing lots of parts, including overhauling the carbs, they have new jets and AN needles now, new spindles too. The vacuum advance was broken so that was fixed and the weights in the dizzy were free too. I have set the mixture correctly also and the timing is set to 13° btdc. The car seems to idle nicely and rev up well too, but when driving it just feels gutless