Mk2 6 Cylinder Engine Rebuild Costs

garyf

14 hours ago, thescrapman said:

I suspect most cars for sale will have issues, I have noticed that standards seem to have dropped as people just say “ well it’s an old car, they all have poor (insert non working part)”

If you want a good car, buy a solid basis and work to get it up to spec.

Buying a car with no issues is going to be expensive, and it will still have things not right.

If all that is wrong with that one is engine and brakes, but rest is very good, I would probably buy it and get mending, it will probably cost more than increase in value 

Colin

You are probably right, I'm very fussy anyway so the chances of me finding one that ticks all the boxes is very remote.

Most of the cars I've considered buying recently (around 80%) have no current M.O.T.  

The trouble with this one is the amount of work required to get it up to scratch mechanically is quite extensive and I know when I start stripping things I will get carried away and want to refurbish/improve things!

I'm still considering making him a better offer but there is a chance the Engine Block and crank may be scrap if the thrusts have fallen out.

Gary  

15 hours ago, thescrapman said:

I suspect most cars for sale will have issues, I have noticed that standards seem to have dropped as people just say “ well it’s an old car, they all have poor (insert non working part)”

If you want a good car, buy a solid basis and work to get it up to spec.

Buying a car with no issues is going to be expensive, and it will still have things not right.

If all that is wrong with that one is engine and brakes, but rest is very good, I would probably buy it and get mending, it will probably cost more than increase in value 

My sentiments entirely.  Folk say as a rule, they all break down, overheat, or have Lucas fuel injection issues, & so on.  They do not !  Once fully sorted by someone experienced, they are as reliable as any modern motor car. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, garyf said:

Colin

I'm still considering making him a better offer but there is a chance the Engine Block and crank may be scrap if the thrusts have fallen out.

Gary  

Shorely shome mishtake?  You're not going to offer more for a clapped out engine?

I could sell you one, that is NOT clapped out!

John

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

Shorely shome mishtake?  You're not going to offer more for a clapped out engine?

I could sell you one, that is NOT clapped out!

John

It does sound a bit ridiculous I know!!

This car Bodily, Paintwork and Interior wise is one of the best ones I've seen so far though?

I'll sleep on it I reckon

Gary