175 Stromberg leaky bowls

Richard B

Does anybody know of a conversion to the bottom bowl of the 175 Stromberg, something that gives a non-leaky blanking plug?

(and if not, why not) I've found a Lotus site where an aluminium plug was sealed into the hole.

Why couldn't have Zenith brought out a plain bowl without the O Ring and hole for the later emission carbs?

Could the hole have a plate TIG'd in?

1968Vitesse25, You should.

Had the GT6 booked in for an MOT on Saturday, took it out of the garage on Friday night for a final check. Petrol poured out of the front carb. Stripped the carb down to check the needle valve, still no joy. So cancelled MOT. Saw this thread on Saturday night and brought two on Sunday after it was confirmed that they would fit CD150s.

So to all thank you for the lead.

Hopefully MOT next Saturday.

Graham

Last night went to fit bases TO 150CD however was not able due to the screw that are required, the current screws are either too long or the short one just grip the threads. I felt this was not quite right. Today went to engineering suppliers and got the following 8-32x11/4 UNC cap heads to do the job. All the screws required on these bases are the same length.
I hope this helps anyone else considering this job.
Graham

• 1 month later...

Update, I did have to remove a couple of mm from each screw however all fitted and no leaks. Bad news this has now lead to new jets and needle to get the carbs tuned correctly.

I have access to a good mobile tuner in the Nottingham area (been using him for a number of years now), possible last of the few as people now plug computers into cars.

Any interest in having your car tuned at home PM me.

Graham

• 3 weeks later...

Quoted from Don Cook
Did you stop the leak? Float height needs to be set properly i.e. float under its own weight (carbs off and placed upside-down), then measurement set, not still fitted to the car and float propped up with a finger.

Yes finally. I had some distortion in the base of the carb bodies. A friend recommended "Blue Hylomar" as it is fuel resistant. A thin smear along both sides of the bowl gaskets has stopped it.

Its a problem in the Stag as the carbs are installed at an angle on the pedestal (about 30 degrees) so the gasket is always under petrol on one side.

I did check the float heights but the were spot on.

A fuel injection conversion is becoming attractive...