GT6 Mk1 Manual Choke (Stromberg CD150)

MikeTeesside

Hi folks.

I finally figured out why I was having so much trouble getting a decent tune on the GT6, the bloody choke cam kept sticking open at various levels! Disconnected it and pushed it fully closed and now getting a perfect tune, but obviously starting in cold/damp condition is now a nightmare. I can open the choke, but it's very sticky and refuses to return closed.

I've rebuilt these carbs before but didn't touch the choke cams. Does anyone have a diagram of how they fit together and/or operate?

Or would it be a better option installing the later carbs with the better chokes? I keep saying how I want to keep the car original.. but it has so many non-standard parts on it now I shouldn't bother saying that anymore. :P

There must be a cause for the sticking Mike. Just a matter of finding it and correcting.
Could be as simple as the linkage between the two being too rigid, not allowing for any mis-allignment.
A lever on the linkage with a return spring would help. Not sure what the original set-up was with that model of CD.
The CDS was often set up to use only one "enrichment device" of the two carburetors so may be you could just try detaching the linkage, and locking  the disconnected choke bar.  

I wouldn't expect the early CD150 choke to stick, unless, as junkuser says, there's a specific issue.

Reminds me of my brother's Mk2 Spitfire (his first car) which had a just-very-slightly-stiff choke, to the point that it would only ever return to off by itself if it had the vibration of the engine running. Was a real pain if you pulled it out without thinking when the engine was hot.