Spare wheel bracket on boot floor

sparky_spit

Nine years ago I replaced the boot floor and rear panel on my Mk3 Spitfire.

On my To Do list I have now got down to "Weld spare wheel bracket onto new panel".  Not having a digital camera 9 years ago I have no record and no idea exactly where it fits.  Does it go so that the stud pokes up through a wheelstud hole in the wheel? Or does it go through the big hole in the middle and is held down with a bar or round plate across the middle of the wheel?

Quoted from sparky_spit
Nine years ago I replaced the boot floor and rear panel on my Mk3 Spitfire.

On my To Do list I have now got down to "Weld spare wheel bracket onto new panel".  Not having a digital camera 9 years ago I have no record and no idea exactly where it fits.  Does it go so that the stud pokes up through a wheelstud hole in the wheel? Or does it go through the big hole in the middle and is held down with a bar or round plate across the middle of the wheel?

Pretty sure through a wheel stud oyl
However its better without brkt as you can turn the wheel upside down and fill well with spares you need for the breakdowns on 10CR...
I then have a hardboard cover that makes it a solid base then put the wheel bag over that

Quoted from sparky_spit
Cheers VR.  I do put spares in the void under the wheel but I'm getting fed up with the noise the wheel makes as it jumps up and down over bumps.

Plus, I can now tick something else off the list, which makes me feel better.

....but the weight of the spares holds down the wheel...and i have one of those rubber anti slip mats that takes out the drumming
Youre getting picky in your old age...

I fitted a bolt through the floor, nut to hold it in place so I can have the spare with the well facing up. No boinging or banging, and a bit of easy to use storage.

If you need an original bracket I have my (carefully removed) one somewhere. Probably.

Spitfire Graveyard used to have a picture on their website of a spitfire that had a hard shunt up the back. The spare wheel moved forward until it met the diff which stopped the collision damage entering the cabin. Although the car was totally written off (hence why it was at the Graveyard) the occupants escaped injury. The spare wheel is bolted to a bracket (not just a stud through the floor) which is welded to the boot floor and secured by a wheelnut. It's about 2 inches right of the centre point of the boot floor. Probably a precurser of the airbag concept!

Mike

Original bracket only suited to 3.5J wheels.

Fit a longer stud and it will do a 5.5J

BTDT Got tee-shirt..

Also there should  be a bit of foam where the wheel sits on the rear panel.

Do not forget the spare wheel is part of the rear crash structure, so ought to be fitted correctly.

Cheers

Colin

Ok chaps, thanks for the info and the offers. I think I've got it right now.

I have my original bracket, which is still spot welded to a chunk of rusty old boot floor, but have now also found the original circular hardboard shelf complete with the recessed metal plate and hole.  Juggling it all together on the new boot floor I can now see where it needs to be welded on.  It looks as though it uses a wheel stud hole at about 9 o'clock or 3 o'clock. The original stud in the bracket will be fine as my spare is an oval-hole 1500 Spitfire wheel.  

Yes, I remember the fact that it is part of the rear safety crumple zone; that's another reason for doing it.  It's only taken me 9 years to get round to it.  I remember that picture well, Rallyspit, it always made me shudder to think how vulnerable a Spitfire would be if rear-ended by large modern car.