Body alone weight

jdaley

I wish to mount a sedan body without roof or doors on a rotisserie.

Does anybody have a clue about its weight please?

I am hioping to hold it with a bar attached in the boot to cabin hole and the gearbox opening.

Can't answer your question directly, but the body is fairly easy to lift by one person at each corner.    I lifted my first's off the chassis by myself, with a hoist at each end.

But that body is so light because without the chassis it's weak.   Do not try to 'rotisserie' the shell without the roof, and the Workshop Manual recommends strengthening the joint between rear tub and bulkhead by a length of angle iron in both sills.

John

Is this a Herald? If so remember the body is in 3 parts, Roof (obvious) but the bulkhead/front is not really attached to the rear "tub" at all. The join is by hex head screws through the chassis. 

The usual way of getting to the underside for serious repairs is to take the roof, tub and bulkhesd off seperately. And I have always rolled the tub onto its side for repairs. 

If you are using some sort of tube to act as a "spine" you could brace from chassis mounting points to the tube, trouble there is that those mounting points may be needing attention? Across the doors you can brace between hinge mountings to door striker, or weld to the B post.

Each body section can easily be lifted by 2 people, I would hazard a guess all 3 bits total 250kg, but it is only a guess. 

Hi. I’m just being nosy but I didn’t know that the body comes off when I brought my car as I nether had a triumph herald before and not long brought mine. I was so amazed so I had a look at my car and could see the bolts then when looking for parts I’ve seen all the parts on sale including roof to chassis. It’s very interesting to see and read that people actually taking them apart but if I was going to replace my chassis would I have to get a logbook with it or can I just transfer the chassis number over as I mentioned I’ve never done or heard of this before. 

Many chassis only require repair, I Am in Australia, rust is not always a problem, but I just feel a good clean, sort out and new coats of paint  would be a good idea.

Then when its back together I will know all is well.

40 minutes ago, Steveant1 said:

Hi. I’m just being nosy but I didn’t know that the body comes off when I brought my car as I nether had a triumph herald before and not long brought mine. I was so amazed so I had a look at my car and could see the bolts then when looking for parts I’ve seen all the parts on sale including roof to chassis. It’s very interesting to see and read that people actually taking them apart but if I was going to replace my chassis would I have to get a logbook with it or can I just transfer the chassis number over as I mentioned I’ve never done or heard of this before. 

The chassis doesnt have a number physically attached to it as this is mounted on the body so it would remain the same after a chassis swop. However when people buy a second hand chassis to build a kit car they usually want it to come with the associated paperwork to be able to use that for the new car....

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

From the Workshop Manual

DSC01795.JPG

Some research might help you.    Kerb weight - chassis weight (70kgs?) - engine weight (160kgs?) - doors, bonnet, boot lid, wheels and suspension= bare body weight. 

Edited by JohnD