Straight Six

On the rear trunnion of a rotoflex car, when the suspension moves, should the bolt turn in the metal sleeve or the metal sleeve turn in the  bush?

I only ask as I've always assumed the bolt turned in the sleeve, but I've got a new trunnion kit and the bolt is a very tight fit in the metal sleeve, but the metal sleeve turns freely in the plastic bush.

Thanks

The poly bush I think is incidental, the bushes I have fitted b4 were very hard. The overall benefit is it will not seize up, due to the stainless steel sleeve poly bush combination.
I never understood why repro parts had to duplicate the errors / cost cuts made in manufacturing.
Simon

I've never struggled to part a suspension joint which I had assembled myself, even after many years. Copious use of copperslip is hardly a complex or expensive approach. Steel bolts running inside stainless bushes are still going to be vulnerable to bimetallic corrosion, so copperslip will still be necessary.
Cheers,
Bill.

I built mine up with grease nipples on both bolt holes, it was assembled with a mix of copper slip and CV joint grease.
I had not touched it since 1999, it all came apart no problem, however, the trunnion dust / water shields were rotten, the steel sleeve was rusty.
Had those parts (which you can't paint) been stainless, I could have put it all back. Poly bushes are not cheap, the ones I fitted in 1999 are still good, so I thought what the hell sod the expense!

Simon

[quote by=mk2vitesses link=Blah.pl?b=hervit,m=1178881475,s=12 date=1179266935]I built mine up with grease nipples on both bolt holes, [/quote]

Pardon my ignorance, I have little to do with Rotoflex cars, but how does this get grease between the bolt and tube? Do you have additional cross drilling through the tube?
Cheers,
Bill.

Aah I remember oxy torch, hammer, hacksaw, I got quite good at it in the end. Lets face it, until somebody who cares gets hold of one of our cars, the concept of maintenance is a swear word.
I still think some of the bits that are subject to water, salt etc could be remade using better materials.
If Triumph were making cars today, they would have evolved, corrosion protection, suspension durability, would all have had to be improved.
I take the view, if I am going to work on part of the car, can I make it better, more reliable, safer!

Archived