Starter Solenoid connection?

Nobbie

I've just been cleaning up the bulkhead area and removed all the stuff including the Starter solenoid. Car now turns over fine, but does not fire. I'm thinking it could be one of three things:

1. I've disturbed the Luminition ignition and it's stopped working

2. I've disrupted the grounding of the coil or starter solenoid by painting the bulkhead before refitting

3. The connection on the left halfway up the solenoid just comes out and doesn't seem to be connected to anything. What should this be doing? I have a feeling it's been like this a while and hasn't affected starting upto now.

Any ideas? I'm waiting for the rain to pass before having a play.

The terminal with the white/red wire is the connection to the ignition switch start position. If this were faulty the solenoid would not engage.

The terminal opposite it, with the white wire, should be the bypass for the ignition coil ballast resistor. If that's faulty you may get problems starting on a weak battery (but earlier cars didn't have the ballast and coped fine).

Check you've actually got volts on the coil and the Lumenition. Grounding disrupted by paint shouldn't be the problem because I don't think either of them are earthed through the case.

Thanks for the reply Rob, I've just had a play with a meter and it looks like it was a dodgy connection on that connector on the right, it just pulls out and is the only connection to the positive on the coil. Voltage when pushed in is only 6-7V, so assume it's via the ballast resistor. I'm amazed it's worked upto now as it seems to make connection if you push it in, but you can remove it entirely and theirs just a piece of braided wire attached to the connector. Anyway, it started fine and I'll order a new solenoid