"Tool to assist solenoid removal"

John Bonnett

This is probably a job that fortunately doesn't need doing very often but I thought it might be of interest.

the lower slot head screw holding the solenoid onto the Type D overdrive is very inaccessible being shielded on the one side by the body of the solenoid and the other by the chassis.

I made a simple tool to slide over the head of the screw thus locating the little blighter and then inserted a screwdriver down the tube. It was then very easy to insert the head of the driver into the slot of the screw.

I hope the pictures explain the tool better than I have.

The flat attached to the tube is to aid positioning.

John, I get the impression that when something annoys you, you don't rest until it's been addressed!
Right oh then, are you going to offer a retro-fit option for the rest of us? I'd pay you a couple of quid alright, if you want to pop round.   :)
If you bring your tool for automatically replacing rear trunnions with you too, I'd be obliged.  ;)

• 9 months later...

Thanks for the inspiration. I fixed my bouncing points on the solenoid by giving them a clean with a Dremel. Removing the lower screw was a pain as usual. I made a long bolt like yours, and refitting was a sinch! I used an M8 long hex head bolt I picked up from the nut and bolt rack in Ikea! Very satisfying fixing my overdrive for free! Cheers!

Similar tool handy for getting the float bowl off Stromberg carburetors whilst still on the car, particularly for we older blokes.
A suitable diameter section of telescopic antenna cut a couple of millimeters longer than the blade of the screwdriver you are using works well in this case.