Overdrive Solenoid

Stu 1986

Hello Chaps
The gearbox fitted to the Vitesse engine in my Herald is fitted with a D Type overdrive. I was looking at the solenoid which looks as though it hasn't been disturbed for some time, and I was wondering how I would go about testing the solenoid works? I can only see one wire coming out of it, so am I correct in assuming that the unit is earthed to the gearbox?

Any tips on testing it would be appreciated. I hope that it doesn't need replacing, it looks like a pig to remove.

Stu.

removing a d type solenoid is difficult due to access to the lower screw.

you can test this , with simple tools and a cheap multimeter.
suggest you remove the square plate in front of it,  when the solenoid is 'on' it pulls a lever under this cover, the lever has a 1/8" hole in it , use a drill shank as a tool and it should fit thro the hole and align with a similar hole in the case behind the lever.

adjustable by the nut on the sol pull rod.

there are 2 coils in the solenoid and a built in  sealed switch,
  coil 1 pulls the armature in only a few mm and takes a current of around 10 amps,  as the armature hits the end of its travel ( and the lever hole is aligned ) it presses a sealed switch in the rear end of the solenoid and this cuts the pull in coil and now feeds a hold in coil , this coil takes only 0.5 amps and is what should be in operation whilst driving
the 10  amp  initial  pull in only lasts for a fraction of a second but because of the current load requires a relay feed ,  

if that helps

Pete

Thanks for the replies so far chaps, I'll test it at me next opportunity. I really wish I had tested this when the engine was out of the car, but that was 7 years ago and I knew nothing of it's existence. I really hope it is working, I would hate to have to change it at this stage of the build, it looks pure awkward to do. :/

S.