Bainzy

Just a tip for anyone with unimpressive or intermittent lights, my Dad's TR6 was due an MOT but the indicators were stuck on when activating the right side.

The problem turned out to be a bad bulb holder, but the new ones are the same design and inevitably would have corroded again. The ground connection is made up of a tang that touches the bulb, and a metal ring inside the bulb holder. These two pieces of metal corrode and stop touching, but you can't clean it off easily because the corrosion is under the metal ring.

You can however remove the ring, so my solution was to coat both mating surfaces with flux after cleaning them, and I soldered the connection after placing them back. The flux helps the solder get sucked right between the join, and hey presto - working light bulb again.

Probably not Roger, but I suppose it depends how liberally it's applied.

The contact area between the two surfaces isn't large, so provided the solder completely covers this, any excess flux wouldn't be spoiling the join. It might be bad for the rest of the ring but even then, I can't see it destroying the fitting, just make sure you only apply it where you want the solder to be.

I used a non acid, non toxic flux by LA-CO.