Halogen headlight conversion

Glenn

I had a real struggle last week trying to get a sealed beam, and the one I did get hold of  "popped" very quickly!  A Halogen conversion seems to make sense but I have a couple of questions I was hoping folk could help with please?

Are the standard wiring and switches up to the Halogen bulbs or will I need relays?  Also, from looking at the wiring diagram (1977 4 speed TR7) I am confused as it looks like the headlights have separate fuses, but the only fuses I can find are the 4 in the lucas box, and an inline each for the radio and heated screen which are also in the cubby box.  Just asking because I seem to remember some older cars with sealed beams didn't have fuses, I suppose as the beam would blow if there was a problem.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

I did my 2500 years ago. Did the lot, relays and fuses, also heavier wiring from relays to lights. Not too expensive to do and I have the best lights of all my cars, including BMW,s. Also ran heavier earths. 🙂 No voltage drops now.

Tony.

To answer the OP question, halogens (assuming std 55watt, not those 100watt types) use the same current as the old sealed beam, so don't NEED relays. 

However, given the age of everything (including me) adding relays is very worthwhile as it means the switchgear etc is no longer stressed, plus the lights will be brighter. This applies to sealed beam or halogens.

Plan B, if feeling flushed, is to use LED bulbs. Had good reports about Philips, but not exactly cheap! (£150ish a pair I think, that is just the bulbs)

Quoted from cliftyhanger-

However, given the age of everything (including me) adding relays is very worthwhile as it means the switchgear etc is no longer stressed, plus the lights will be brighter. This applies to sealed beam or halogens.

Agree with Clive, all the TR7 lighting current goes through the headlamp switch and is a source of failure. I’ve put relays on mine, the headlamps are brighter and I’ve no worries on an overloaded switch

Fitted LED units to one of my TR7's no more worries of overloaded switches and lots of light.

But I don't have any real worries there because as long as the switches are cleaned properly the lights won't be a problem. These switches are pretty solid! In all those years (almost 30) I never had any real problems with them, despite lots of night time driving.

Thanks all. Relays seem to make sense in that case. I like the look of the double relay unit Howard posted, neat and cheap, although the carriage from Europe adds a fair bit so would be glad to learn of any UK suppliers for those or similar. Cheers.