Refitting D type overdrive unit to back of gearbox

GT6 Jonesy

Has anyone had a go at this, I removed the unit off the back of the box to sort an oil leak on my mk2 gt6 now I can't get the bugger back on. I can get it to slide down so that the studs on the overdrive sit 1mm above the gearbox casting face with the studs lined up but for the life of me can't get the bloody thing any further. Any tips would be much appreciated to stop me going mad, cheers

After aligning the cam with oil pump plunger looking up into the overdrive I can see two sets of splines that don't quite line up. As I turn the flange that bolts to the prop I can see both sets of spines move together, should they move independently if I hold one set with a screwdriver ? Had a go at that but didn't want to exert too much force on them.

Hello Jonesy,

yes that right, they do move independently, and must be exactly in line. One thing do not try and bolt the two together with the long studs if it feels at all tight, you'll probably crack the adapter plate.

Alec

When you look down and into the overdrive the two splines should be in line to allow sliding onto splined shaft.
The only set of splines that move are the lower ones ,as you look down, and they move (anti clockwise very easily)
......I have this thing about forgetting ...clockwise/anticlockwise... any way the lower set are the only ones to move and they only move one way ,....very very easily .....and will not move the other way (if that makes sense)
Then it will slide on  

next time use apair of good screwdrivers and just raise the bridge bars to release the clutch and it all self aligns.

as a small but important point if this was a D type did you look for the small dot marks on the satellite gears , on each gear there is a etched or dot mark on the edge of one tooth, these must be aligned when fitting the planet hub with similar faint marks on the hub.
this gives the best tooth running position and makes all three gears take a shared load , if ignored then you can end up with only one of the three taking the load and vibrations appear.

bit of a pain but worth the attention,   most  manuals cover this requirement

just a thought

Peter