1500 j-type overdrive

ferny

I've just done this with mine ..If you keep the 13/60 clutch cover and use with a dolly 1300 friction plate ..this will keep the same size clutch and have the correct no of splines to match the input shaft on the box

you will need to modify the tunnel a bit so that you can get to the prop bolts

Fit an overdrive gearbox mounting...i had to make a plate up to bolt this to as the existing one didn't line up ,but that was just a piece of plate with  holes drilled in to match up with the chassis and gearbox mount

Then you need a prop 45.5'' long [either have one shortened to length or find one that's allready to size]  you will need a large flange on the gearbox end and a small flange on the diff end and that's about it apart from wiring the overdrive in

The Vitesse propshaft is 47" long, it works with the shorter D-type overdrive gearbox. To fit the single rail J-type box you're going to need a custom 45.5" propshaft, unless there's a non-Triumph been made with one of the right length.
I prefer the 3-rail gearbox to the single rail of the 1500, and I can't get as excited as some people about the J-type overdrive over the D-type of the earlier cars. Best all-rounder for my tastes is the Spitfire MkIV overdrive gearbox - 3-rail box, D-type overdrive and the Vitesse propshaft will fit (though you may need to shift the engine forward a smidgen). That's the setup I'm putting into my next Herald, replicating what was in one of my previous favourite cars.
Another personal preference, overdrive switch on the steering column, rather than on the gearstick. Longer lasting and (for me) easier to use.
Cheers,
Bill.

I have fitted this box in a Herald and it works fine.  It is a slightly trickier conversion than a 1300 3 rail plus D-type due to the extra length needing special propshaft.  Clutch wise you just need the fine spline friction plate from a late single rail-equipped 1300 Dolly or Toledo.  Change quality of the 1 rail is better in my opinion, but few agree.........

I have a complete surplus gearbox in stock....... PM if interested.

Nick

The only potential downside of a single rail in a Herald is prop fouling. That extra couple of inches in length of the gearbox means that the prop sits slightly higher in the tunnel. In some cars it can foul the angled strengthening plate welded in the tunnel under the handbrake. Move the whole thing slightly over to the left on the mounting plate to avoid.

I did a typical bodge when fitting 1500 od to my herald. Used the vitesse propshaft, swapped one flange and made a spcer 1" thich to move the engine forward. OK not ideal in terms of balance, but worked fine and handling not affected. Also avoided the costly business of propshaft shortening (was well over £100 locally).
Made my own monting plate from a git of 4mm thick 40mm wide steel bar, just drilled holes to suit. Easier than using a proper plate as many seem to be "wrong" anyway and need redrilling.
This method keeps prop flange in the right place too!

Cheers
Clive

Thanks for all the info. :)

The way I understand it, the d-type is easier to fit but the j-type as synch on all four gears and is slightly stronger. Right now I get frustrated not being able to put it into first when I want sometimes so that's my main reason for wanting the j-type.

I agree on the column switch. Things can always be adapted.  ;D

Archived