J type Gearbox needed

Pete PiEst

Hi All,
On my way to a job going along in traffic came to a stop enagaged 1st drove off after 10 - 15 yards car would grind to halt... scratched head ... tried again car wouldn't move... bit of reverse for a couple of feet then engage 1st and drive another 10 -15 yards.. tow truck home time! This happened about 3 weeks before the RBRR so I put a spare one I had which has an A type done the RBRR but overdrive packed up after about 3 hours!!
So time to sort it out, I've farmed out the job to a friend of friend who's a dab hand at these things and have been told that the layshaft has snapped screwing the case but the gears have survived OK.
Couple of questions:
Should I just get another 2500 box for the PI or is there a stronger Triumph box option? Stag?
I don't need the overdrive as that is OK from the old one.
Do any of you fine people have a suitable box for some beer vouchers... Nearer Norf Esst Lundn - Issix would be easier for collection etc.
Cheers,
Pete

Pete

I can do you a new case for a very small beer voucher consideration, got a few spares.

But...... perhaps not what you want.

I may be able to assist with a J-type box, I think.

And Yes, a Stag box is much better, if you can find one. I'm looking as well... :-)

Possible part exchange for the knackered A-type box also available.

Cheers

Colin

Hi Colin, The case sounds like the ticket, do you know of any good quality internals... the layshaft came from CW about 5 years ago when I rebuilt the box after the last layshaft ground itself to death but didn't snap.. are you going to the NorfLundn meet?.. If not I could pop along to the Issx one for a chat and beer voucher exchange?
Cheers,
Pete

Just as a foot note. I found it really useful to keep the old casing as its perfect as a workbench for driving bearings in and out of the new casing and other jobs.

Its very much like the portable black and decker work mate of the gearbox rebuilding world.

Cheers

Darren

Hi,
Colin: I'll be up at the Plough around 8 - 8.30 see you then.

Ferny: Is that a new club roll? Checking on the cleaniness of members cars... If they're too tidy do you break in and throw random food wrappings / drinks cartons on the floor?... I tidy it when I can't see the carpet... when / where did you carry out your spying mission? I normally drive to my customer on the Bilton Road industrial estate and then drive home.

Dazzer: Good idea. I'll get it back once it's all been sorted.

Cheers,
Pete

Would have been last Tuesday, I think. I had to go into Easi Drive and saw your car as we entered the estate. In truth, I only looked to check it was yours because I like the car. I followed it on the RBRR a lot (got a few photos of it and you, see link) and I'm thinking you did the last 10CR in it too?

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=243804&id=699150688&l=621bbe090e

I've taken the carpet out of my car. That way I never have to worry about not seeing it...

Would have been last Tuesday, I think. I had to go into Easi Drive and saw your car as we entered the estate. In truth, I only looked to check it was yours because I like the car. I followed it on the RBRR a lot (got a few photos of it and you, see link) and I'm thinking you did the last 10CR in it too?

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=243804&id=699150688&l=621bbe090e

I've taken the carpet out of my car. That way I never have to worry about not seeing it...

Archived