Spitfire 1500 gearbox on 1300 dolomite engine?

Spitfire1500

Hi all,

A full overdrive gearbox for a 1500 is on eBay at the moment for £350 (I wonder how quickly it will go!).

Would this be an easy bolt on to my 1300 Dolomite engine, or could this give rise to problems?

I haven't checked my oil seal, but my gearbox (and the 1500 one on ebay) are single rail..so it could well be quite straightforward (fingers crossed!).

Kind regards,

David

Hi
I just fitted a 1500 o/d gearbox onto a small crank 1300 engine. I needed to use a fine spline clutch plate as per the 1500 clutch plate but of a smaller diameter. I found a new old stock morris marina plate for a couple of pound at an auto jumble fitted. My standard Mk3 gearbox and clutch has less splines so I couldn't use the plate. Check the splines are correct on your gearbox. I think you would have to use the 1500 flywheel if you use the 1500 clutch.

Mark

Howard81 wrote:
They should just unbolt from the chassis, you'll need a new rubber mount too.

However, if it's the one on eBay I think it is, it looks like it comes with everything you need, including the mounting plate!

Woo!!!  :)

If it goes before I get paid...it wasn't meant to be. But hopefully it will be there still when I get paid next week.

Kind regards,

David

Archived