gearbox confusion

Fizzy

i have just had a message from somebody wanting to buy a gearbox from me. its a 3 rail, non OD taken off my mk3 spit. he has a bitsa spit, even more so than mine. it has a 1500 engine, which made me query what box he had. he said its an FH box, which by my reckoning is a mkIV 3 rail, which my box should be a direct replacement for ?

he said it was a 1500 herald engine, which im prettty sure dont exist. and i dont think a 3 rail box can be bolted to a 1500 spit engine ? my mate had a MKIV spit with a 1300 toledo engine and 3 rail box. could this guy have a 1500 toledo engine and a 3 rail box, is that what 1500 tolly's used ? he said his broken box was FH with 10 splines. i cant get the box for sale until monday to count, but id like to try give him some info in the meantime. ive explained to him all the various prefix's of the bits in question, and asked for his engine number. but i think his cars in a garage.

on the other hand, if hes got an FH box, and ive got a 3 rail box, is it as simple as saying it will fit no questions asked ?

Don't see why it wouldn't fit if he has the right clutch. I'm planning on matching my to-be-rebuilt 1500 engine with my to-be-reconditioned 3-rail overdrive box. Currently I've got a 1300 engine connected to my knackered single rail box.

I expect he has a herald with a 1500 engine. Actually a nice combo.
And the box will fit, no probs. As above, he has the right clutch at the moment, possibly using a 1300 flywheel or the 1500 with a minor clutch plate. Simples.
Sell it to him, he must know what he is up to.

Archived