MK3 Originality Details - Dash and Windscreen Frame

aknight123456

Morning all.

I'm currently in the process of restoring my MK3 Spitfire. I am not trying to keep it completely original but I'm just looking for information.

What was the standard finish to the dashboard (1) and the windscreen frame outside (2) and inside (3)?

I've got John Thomason's guide to originality which doesn't give much specific information on it. It does suggest that all mk3s had the exterior frame painted black, which I seem to remember someone saying was actually part of "drama in black" package they did in the final year of the MK3...?

I've got vinyl for (1) and (3) and then body colour for (2) and just looking to see what I should have and what other people are rocking.

Cheers for your help!

Andy,

You have it right on the interior side of the frame and the dash.  On the dash only the part that would otherwise be exposed metal gets the vinyl The instruments are in wood.

The outside of the frame was body colour on earlier cars, but changed to black after commission number FD75000.

Regards,

Paul

Morning Andy,

The dashboard central insert on a Mk3 was wood (with an "American crown walnut" veneer). The surrounding metalwork was covered in a moulded black plastic, the same as the door cappings, but fine grain vinyl gives a very similar effect. The same applies to the crash pad on top of the dash, but be aware that re-covering in vinyl is a PITA because of the protrusion in the centre.

The Windscreen frame inside was originally also covered in the same moulded plastic, so again vinyl looks right. Kits for this are available from most of the usual suspects (I got mine from Paddocks) but they are just four strips of vinyl so if you're buying a bulk load for the rest of the job then just use that.

I'm surprised that the Thomason book seems to say the exterior was black. It is on mine but that's because mine is a facelift 1970 model, with the rectangular badges and the big blocky rear number plate light / reversing light plinth. Pre-1970 Mk3 with the individual TRIUMPH letters and scroll badges, and the chrome number plate light and separate reversing lights, should have the windscreen frame in body colour like the Mk2.