single rail gearbox

DaveKent

I think the ratios may be different, think the box internals are interchangeable, the centre casings the same but the bellhousing/tail extension different.  

I'm not totally sure about all of this, my herald had a hybrid box with marina ratios.   Oh and the input shaft splines are different - adaptable with a Moggy Minor clutch plate I think!

Of course I could be talking compete b*ll**ks - I await to be corrected   :-)

Hello Dave,

yes it was a Triumph overdrive gearbox.

I don't remember all the details  as it was some time ago. It was probably due to where I had to mount the slave cylinder (Minors normally have a mechanical clutch, not hydraulic) As it was a Marina bell housing, that also had to be chopped down to fit into the Minor.

Alec

I can top that, I once fitted a Herald 1200 engine and 'box to a Minor 1000 Traveller, and I can tell you that it was bloody hard work!  No overdrive though.  Went better than the standard 948cc A Series set up though, although it would have been easier to go the 1098cc A Series route, I was an impoverished student using parts that were lying around in the garage.  The exhaust was the most difficult problem as the fuel/electrics are all t'other way round on the A Series!

M.

Archived