GT6boy

On any box that has been through the hands of reconditioners (and that is most of them by now!) this number is basically meaningless.  If it is really a proper Kipping J-type conversion then you are fortunate.  Is it the same length as a standard OD (D-type) box or the 1" longer version as cooked up from single rail Dolomite 1850 parts?

Post a picture of the whole box maybe?

Cheers

Nick

Yes that is the the shorter adaptor plate from early 1850 Dolomite.  Certainly makes the fit easier.  See pic of my old gearbox below.

As standard, the early 1850 gearbox has the same (rather puny) guts as the Vitesse/GT6 box with the small diameter tip bearing (the real weak spot), but I believe Mr Kipping used specially made main shafts with the larger tip bearing of the single rail combined with the shorter length of the 3 rail to give the best possible combination.  When built correctly, using selected late 1850/TR7 parts this is about as strong as these boxes get.  There are various people out there still doing this but I think all the special mainshafts are still supplied via Canleys.

So have you got one of these?  No external way of telling that I know of!  If it is reasonably quiet and the input shaft doesn't waggle about much, it is a good sign.  You won't be able to tell without taking the lid off, dropping the layshaft and withdrawing the input shaft to see how big the the tip bearing is - don't suppose you want to know that bad?  It is just possible someone like Dave Pearson knows of special markings put on Kipping conversions (if indeed there were any), otherwise, see above.

Put it back in and drive the car before it gets dark all the time!

Cheers

Nick

Nick_Jones wrote:

As standard, the early 1850 gearbox has the same (rather puny) guts as the Vitesse/GT6 box with the small diameter tip bearing (the real weak spot), but I believe Mr Kipping used specially made main shafts with the larger tip bearing of the single rail combined with the shorter length of the 3 rail to give the best possible combination.  When built correctly, using selected late 1850/TR7 parts this is about as strong as these boxes get.  There are various people out there still doing this but I think all the special mainshafts are still supplied via Canleys.

It is just possible someone like Dave Pearson knows of special markings put on Kipping conversions (if indeed there were any), otherwise, see above.

Cheers

Nick

We are just having another batch machined. Same machine shop that's been making them for us for the past 20 years.

No I don't (know any special markings on Kippings/Canley boxes), because there are none. We just use the next 3 rail, four syncro case in the pile. It might have started life in a Spitfire MKIV, but it could end up behind a GT6MKIII, we have never number matched cases.

Having said that one of our (Kippings then) has taken the time to date stamp it, 22.12.98. That was near the end of the Kipping time and could have been built by anyone of three guys, Ashlee Chambers (the main gearbox builder for a number of years), JK himself (rare), or Mick Papworth (for a few years after Ashlee left). As it's stamped M285, my bet is with it's Micks 285th box!

[quote=GTEVO]

Kipping then carried on producing them after 1989-90, with different heat treatment co and machine shop.

quote]

No you had 'disappeared' long before that because I was involved from 1987 onwards and you weren't on the scene then? It was about that time that all that 6R4 stuff ended up in Milvers furnace because MP didn't see any worth in it, what a shame.

canleyclassics wrote:

Having said that one of our (Kippings then) has taken the time to date stamp it, 22.12.98. That was near the end of the Kipping time and could have been built by anyone of three guys, Ashlee Chambers (the main gearbox builder for a number of years), JK himself (rare), or Mick Papworth (for a few years after Ashlee left). As it's stamped M285, my bet is with it's Micks 285th box!

See!  I knew you'd know Dave!  Seems like you've got a real one Bruce!

Nick

GT6boy wrote:
;D Just found the John Kipping reciept from the PO!  18/05/99 £250 G201 D type to J type conversion, OD+GB with all the bits'n'bobs thrown in. Never throw anything away.  :D

So the box had sat around for 5 months before it got mated to a o/d and sold as a D to J? I remember back in 97-98-99 Kippo had virtually given up on selling overdrive conversions and the waiting list was huuuuge. At one point it was something like 5 months and counting which might explain the delay in the box and o/d coming together. Trouble was all centered around the fast disappearing core market at the time. Since then we have had to get all sorts of bit's and bob's sourced/manufactured to continue doing them, and can now quote lead times of about 5 weeks (as against 5 months!).

GTEVO wrote:

Well there you are soooooooooo wrong, or you have SOOOOOOOO short memory....

A certain book has its 20th anniversary this year (ie. 1987-2007)

As I wrote it recovering from a major accident in August 1986, and spent the next 12 months catching up in Coventry.....AND getting a certain brown Triumph back out on the road in the ensuing 12 months I can only suspect you got the collective amnesia....

Funny thing memory as you get older eh?
Elephants never forget  ;D

As for Ken....I can't recollect him doing any decent, or large number of units.....that's why he got dropped rather suddenly..... >:(

In fact they were far more interested in doing Rover 5 speed units if I recollect... ::)

Well I bow to your superior knowledge/recollection. I left the RAF in March (the 5th March) 1987 and set up Canley Classics. Almost immediately I got involved with Kippo as I had a couple of small chassis Triumph resto's on the go. In the beginning I would visit the shop once a week to collect parts, share the gossip, and get stitched up by MP (I quickly learnt my lesson). I don't recall you being about then? As time went by and we all got more friendly I would pop over on a Friday afternoon and share in the traditional 'Beast Pizza' that Kippo would buy everyone. I have been part of the fabric of the business ever since. Of course having been long term friends with all those involved at the time I know only to well the full story.................

And to quote ....

It is omelettes and eggs. No eggs - no omelettes! It depends on the quality of the eggs. In the supermarket you have class one, two or class three eggs and some are more expensive than others and some give you better omelettes. So when the class one eggs are in Waitrose and you cannot go there, you have a problem"

So who's 'The Special One' here....

;D

Colin

Archived