Which Radiator?????

Steveg1974

Hi All,

I'm currently carrying out a full restoration a 1970 Mk4 Spitfire and need to replace the radiator. I'm confused to which one i need to purchase. I have taken out the standard and have been told to upgrade to full width, a wider core, replace with standard 16" all different opinions. Can someone help to advise to which one is best. I take it if i fit the wider version it doesn't use the framework that goes around the 16".

Many Thanks   Steve

If your cooling system / engine is otherwise in good condition, you don't need the wide radiator. The standard one deals with enough heat for a 1500, even without the spoiler (which does improve cooling a little at higher speeds). The reduced capacity of the standard radiator also means the whole lot gets up to temperature quicker, which reduces wear and saves fuel.

If you do go for the wide one, it fits in the same U-shape frame just without the two wings between frame and rad.

For the small amount extra (if any) I would use the wider radiator. The 1500 is a bit marginal and the extra capacity is a useful safety margin. 

Be aware the original wide rads were a thinner core, so ideally a full width rad with a core the same thickness as the rad you took out. Canleys is one such radiator (no connection, others available etc etc)

https://www.canleyclassics.com/?product=spitfire-full-width-radiator