LSD diff, salisbury type: help

popeye

The Salisbury is the original type that were fitted to Dolomite Sprints, and that is possibly the main source of the big saloon ones.

It is a plate/clutch type unlike some of the other options.

Other options are

Quaife - geared
Torsen -

Mr Wikipedia is helpful here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited-slip_differential

I have been told the Salisbury is the one to have for our cars, and they do seem to command a premium.

Cheers

Colin

Just my opinion but if your looking at a limited slip differential and you own a car fitted with swing axle then you must replace halfshafts with something better be it a cv conversion , rotoflex or uprated swing axles as swing axles will break sooner or later !

michael wrote:
gripper plate type for comp use.  quaife for road use  regards michael

My apologies for this Michael but I dont agree with that statement ! Im at work so I cant go into to much detail but if you can keep both rear wheels on the floor the Quaife Atb is far superior to a plate type.

look at what the racers use in the CSCC Swinging Sixties the Top Triumphs are on Quaife Atb diffs

in histiric appendix k racing they use plate type because thats all they are allowed to use

my own race car puts 350hp through a Quaife and I've managed to get the suspension balanced enough that both wheels stop on the floor through the corners and its a fantastic bit of kit

7499 wrote:

My apologies for this Michael but I dont agree with that statement ! Im at work so I cant go into to much detail but if you can keep both rear wheels on the floor the Quaife Atb is far superior to a plate type.

look at what the racers use in the CSCC Swinging Sixties the Top Triumphs are on Quaife Atb diffs

in histiric appendix k racing they use plate type because thats all they are allowed to use

my own race car puts 350hp through a Quaife and I've managed to get the suspension balanced enough that both wheels stop on the floor through the corners and its a fantastic bit of kit

just my view after 45 years of motorsport including many wins in race rally rallycross events

6485 wrote:
Of course, if you can keep both wheels on the road do you really need a limited slip diff?

I used to think that too my modified rear suspension Gt6 grips like a grippy thing. I fitted a Quaife for reinforcement reasons not expecting an improvement in grip levels. I was pleasently supprised when I discovered a great improvement powering through corners.

Laurence

Too many variants .
What LSD is available for what diff ?
Intended purpose ?
Vehicle set up ?
Driving style ?
Weather conditions ?
Exact manufacturer and then with some , particular LSD set up ?
Cost ?
Who has tried all these permutations ? Not many , if any .
I think most would agree that any LSD will give some advantages .
M

Ive raced and driven on the road a Spitfire  which is fitted with a Salisbury type diff ! when on the road apart from the push feeling when trying to park and the occasional rattle when the plates get a bit worn the LSD is not that noticable ! On the track again the only noticable thing about the Salisbury Lsd is the initail understeer on turn in as the the plates lock up this can be adjusted depending on how tight you have the diff set

Ive raced and driven a Spitfire fitted with a Quaife atb and its a lot more civilised it offers the same amount of extra control as the Salisbury but with none of the drawbacks of the initail understeer and squeeling tyres when trying to turn tightly the only drawback with the Quaife being if one of the driven wheels leave the ground it acts like a normal open diff there is lots on the net that explains why

Plus the Quaife is maintenance free requires no special oils and has a lifetime guarantee conversley the Salisbury will require special oils periodic maintenance and the ramp angle will always be a compromise