differential rebuild

RMC590L

Hi everyone, my 2000 has developed a fairly large leak from the differential, does anyone no of a company in the south Oxfordshire area who could put new seals in it for me. I would have a go myself but have been told that getting the tightness of the pinion shaft nut wrong can make the diff very noisy and could damage it.
Any help would be gratefully received as I will be taking the rear suspension and diff out of the car next month.
Thanks.

Rubbish, set to it yer self.

If collapse able spacer, then  mark the nut, and the diff with punch marks.
it must go back to the same spot, as it come off.

Solid spacer, nowt to wurry aboot, just tighten it right up.
cant tighten it to tight, as the solid spacer wont let the pinnion alter.

generally a castle nut for solid, and a nyloc, or a cover over it for a collapse ,n

Biggest prob is getting to it,if ye no got jaks /pit /ramps.

M

8883 wrote:
my 2000 has developed a fairly large leak from the differential,  

I would have a go myself but have been told that getting the tightness of the pinion shaft nut wrong can make the diff very noisy and could damage it.

as I will be taking the rear suspension and diff out of the car next month.

Right, don't panic, you do not have to touch the pinion nut to change the front seal.

Have a look in a workshop manual or a parts catalogue. When you have dropped the whole unit and removed the halfshafts, there are 4 bolts holding the diff nose-piece to the diff, undo those and the diff will slide off the quill shaft.

The seal is not up by the flange and the nose piece is quite separate from the diff.

Consider changing the quill shaft bearing as a leaking seal can wash the grease out of the bearing, remove a couple of circlips and drift the old one out. Changing the output shaft seals is harder as you have to press the bearings off of each output assembly.

The nose seal can be tricky to get out without getting dirt in the diff so stuff plenty of dinosaur loo-roll in there. I usually end up beating it with a hammer & chisel  :B

If you want the diff overhauled (new bearings etc, then try Mike Papworth or Canley Classics)

As Richard says, the quill shaft bearing usually gets the grease washed out of it by leaking oil, causing it to fail soon after the oil is stopped by a new seal.

Beware that the new bearings sold today by many suppliers are inadequate for the service and fail after a few thousand miles.  The proper RHP ones are still available and though comparitively expensive, they are well worth the extra as they actually work.  Chris Witor sells them and is usually cheaper than bearing suppliers.  Alternatively, if your bearing is still in good condition it is possible to carefully prise out the grease seals and re-grease the bearing before refitting it.

Nick