Lord Sorbington

Any tips for getting the UJs out?  Am practicing on a spare set at the moment.

Got the circlips out, tried supporting one yoke and tapping the other to drive the bearing cups out but they seem pretty tight.  Don't want to batter it with the hammer too much! Maybe a squirt of WD40 would help?

Any tips, or will I need to use a vice to press them out?

[quote by=sorbs link=Blah.pl?b=2000,m=1181734369,s=0 date=1181734369]Got the circlips out, tried supporting one yoke and tapping the other to drive the bearing cups out but they seem pretty tight. [/quote]

I've never been able to get that method to work and I've tried it on all manner of Triumph propshafts and driveshafts and Land Rover propshafts over the years. The advice to ensure the yolks are clean etc hasn't made much difference for me.

A decent bench vice and a selection of sockets is the way to go and you'll be soon be changing them in no time at all IMHO.

I agree with Bill.  I have replaced many a UJ on my TR6 using the vice method.  My vice jaws are probably 4" wide.  I can usually get them out with  a bit of WD40 and occasionaly a bit of heat with a blow lamp.  Once you have removed them you do need to be careful pressing them back in as it is easy not to get them lined up straight when you press them back in.

Big beefy vice helps a lot. I think the one I've got has 8" (possibly even wider) jaws -- it's huge  :D Acquired it from my grandfather who used it when repairing farm implements  :o

A bit of care is need on reassembly -- try to keep everything as straight as possible when pushing the new cups in and make sure the needle rollers stay in place.

It's a not a diffiult job but can a bit of a PITA without the right equipment.

Thanks for the advice

Had a proper look at my driveshafts tonight, not sure how much wear there actually is in the UJs, can't really get any relative movement between the sections of each shaft.

The amount of free rotation in each complete shaft which I suppose is diff backlash is about the same as any car I've owned, even brand new ones.

What I did notice is that the splined section of one shaft does seem to have some play - the clonk on my car is most noticeable when turning sharply combined with changing from decelarating to accelerating or vice versa so maybe it is spline wear rather than UJs which are the main issue?  The same shaft also knocks when going from Reverse to Drive.

I'm currently trying to acquire a large ex British Rail vice - new 8" vices cost a fortune!!

Archived