Rust Restorer

Rust_Restorer wrote:
It's doing bearings at the rate every 1500 miles.

mmm ... makes me wonder as I do have two spare bearing kits (from Robsport) which I planned to put in somewhere this year  :-/
Maybe better to use some original and hardly used second hand halfshafts that have been lying around fro ages.

I have only just come across this thread, and as Andy rightly says it was me and I (we) have not found a cure. I have a further set of bearings to mess about with and we were going to faff about with the old set (various shims etc.) before committing the new ones to the shaft.
As memory serves we were getting as much as 1.4mm float which no amount of shimming removed. This is what prompted much discussion of WHERE the shims should be placed and that is what we shall be looking at in future.
We had been shimming up the bearing outer race in the axle to move it outward (away from the diff) in an attempt to take up the float but no matter how much we shimmed it the play remained, it really is very strange.
I have thought that the next step will be (as hinted at above), to pull the bearing off the half shaft and shim behind it, effectively moving it towards the diff and seeing how that goes.

Burnerboy, you shimmed behind the outer bearing race, exactly as I did on Sunday with no effect. I had previously discussed this with suppliers, who took a new set of halfshaft, fitted the bearings and tried it in axles on their premises and found no excessive end float. They where then sent to me and I fitted into axle, with perhaps similar endfloat to yours. Now though the end float is approx 3mm after approx 1500 miles. I presume with this much end float the needle rollers run down in the outer race, with not all rollers in contact with outer race causing uneven wear. I cant see much sign of wear in the rollers or race, however there was trace of very fine metallic particles in the grease.
To answer Beans question: As part of the above transaction I seemed to aquire a spare set of bearings from supplier. The box for these shows no sign of origin or maker exept for Kit 028 and a label stuck on saying GHK1028. This is a Rimmers part number, I suspect all Triumph suppliers buy their stock from Rimmers at cost price.
The only sign of any markings on the bearings is on the outer race - U281L - The collars contained in this kit do not have the original rebate for the circlip.
When I originally bought bearings way back from Robsport, and both cars had these, they where by County bearings and lasted a long while.
I suspected at the time that those sold today where remanufactured somewhere, I also thought the outer seal was at fault, it certainly looks different to the original ones. If smaller in depth this would affect endfloat.
I will bring my verniers home tommorow and take some measurements.

Looking at the cross section of the half shaft you can see that the retaining collar keeps the bearing's inner track in the correct position on the half shaft.
The (strengthened) outer oil seal with the retaining plate is there to keep everything in place in the axle casing.
So there are three possible causes I can come up with;
1.  The retaining collar, the manual states that you need a force of at least 3 Tons to slide it in place.
     If the quality of these is poor they might move, resulting in more play.
2.  The outer oil seal is incorrect, giving th esame result;
3.  The bearing is fitted the wrong way 'round (so with the taper pointing outwards) ...  :o

I have a few kits I got from RobSport, and are from Automotive Bearings Ltd  
They all have Timken bearings, and the correct (looking) retaining collar (with groove for circlip) and oil seal.
But will make a mental note to check them against the originals once I need to replace them  ::)

1)     Retaining collar was difficult to get on and off. Over 10 tons had to be used. So that was okay. Also it is held in place by the circlip so cannot really move anywhere. Interesting is that the replacement Burnerboy used did not have a recess for the circle[p and it butted up to a ‘flat’ retaining collar.
2)     I did not realise the outer oil seal is “strengthened” but if it is and according to the diagram from Rust Restorer it is an important component.
3)     Might happen
M
My suggestion would be the bearings supplied are not deep enough to stop the movement i.e. take up the end play.
It will be interesting to see what the comparison tells us.

AndyF

Have measured one of the bearing kits I have in stock;
•  Retaining collar overal 17.0mm (including groove which is 3.9mm deep);
•  Bearings outer track measures 17,05mm;
•  Bearings inner track measures 20,57mm;
•  Outer oil seal measures 10,1mm over the steel outside;
(No spacer supplied and never seen one)

Will see if I can get at one of the halfshafts in the not to distant future to check th eabove measurements.

Rust_Restorer wrote:
... is your outer race in one piece or made up of two pieces, ie:- the main outer race and what I have called the spacer ...

Outer race feels like one but looks like two pieces, I took the total measurement
Pictures of the kit I have used for measurement below (inner seal not shown) ...

Have to admit that it's been a very long time since I last renewed these bearings.
Hopefully will be able to have a look at a set of spare half shafts next week,
but at the moment it is to cold to work on the cars ...

• 2 months later...

Rust_Restorer wrote:
... Must be Chinese or Indian crap! gotta keep my eye on Ebay for NOS bearings ...

I source my bearings straight through an SKF dealer (added bonus is that they were able to supply the correct oil seals too).
Not the cheapest route but you get what you pay for :) SKF numbers are;
• Inner bearing (GHB101): L44649/610/Q;
• Outer bearing (GHB 107): LM11749/710/Q.

And make sure you tighten the bearings up properly.
After fitting new bearings tighten up the nut till the hub is locked.
Than back off the nut till the hub moves freely and without play.

Archived