Prop and half shaft bolts

Matt306

I am trying to source 3/8 bolts for the flanges on my herald propshaft (i have larger flanges due to 3.89 diff and Overdrive). They are 7/8 in length and 3/8 in diameter. I am damned if i can find any online with a 5/16 shaft  or any shaft. I know I can buy from Canley , Paddocks or Rimmers, but surely someone must supply these guys.

Anyone have a good nut and bolt supplier they can give me?

I don't understand what you mean about the 5/16 shaft??
But Namricks in Brighton have just about any bolt (as do most fasteber suppliers)

However, in recent years I have bought off ebay, taking care to get the correct spec. In this case you want 8.8 or higher.

Ah, I think I understand now. All you are finding are setscrews? (fully threaded)
The other issue I have had in the past is the nuts. Many of teh nylocs are thicker than the oe type on the prop fixings. Triumph suppliers do get them correct though.

I had to get some bolts when I fitted my scooby diff. Amazingly they use 8mm bolts (5/16 near enough)so herald size. This worried me, and being tight and not wanting to fork out a fortune at a scoby g=dealer, I used cap-head bolts which are 12.9 rated. But to get a long enough unthreaded shank I had to buy oversize bolts, and cut some of the threads off. Luckily Namricks are literally down the road, so |I could go and measure up.

Quoted from Spitfire6

Hi,
If i fitted 12.9 instead of 8.8, I would torque them more.  Fitting a 12.9 at the same torque as a 8.8 just don't make sense?

Elongation points are different as you say. Nylok fastener/friction fastener will come loose? I used to teach about bolt tensioning for a few years and this is a question that was never asked or thought about. Just strength the bolt to its maximum torque.

Cheers,
Iain.

Theres a lesson on bolt mentioning?

Hi Folks,
              the torque loading is also determined by the materials being held together, type of bolt, locking mechanism etc.

You wouldn't tighten down a decent steel bolt to a very high load if holding Aluminium plates together.
You wouldn't necessarily need to use a high torque when using spring washers

Lots of permutations.

Roger

Spring washers don't help hold stuff together - in fact, the opposite. You're trying to clamp together a collapsible/flexible part of an assembly, so it's just going to give - essentially you'll get joint decompression and self loostening because of it.

NOT in every case, but tests show it to be the case in some scenarios.

http://www.boltscience.com/pages/vibloose.htm

There is a LOT of free information on that website. Well worth a read if you're thinking of home engineering anything.

As Ian said too, if the threads are more lubricated then the bolt can turn more, giving greater elongation, but at a lower 'torque' setting.