Correct GT6 MK3 Rear Spring? Driveshaft Model

John Bonnett

With two people and a full load of luggage, the car bottomed out occasionally on country roads while we were on holiday. Having returned, I did a search and read this thread

http://clubtriumph.eu/cgi-bin/forum10/Blah.pl?m-1276120356/

During the rebuild, I fitted a new spring supplied by James Paddock, part number, 159640. However, reading the above thread it looks as if this is the wrong spring and that the correct spring should be part number: 159654 and can be supplied by Canley's and Rimmers also list it.

The above thread also contains a table giving data for springs fitted to small chassis cars, link below:

http://clubtriumph.eu/uploads/front__rear_susp_specs_8357_9051.jpg

This has now confused me because it gives 6 leaves for the GT6 MK3 which according to SlimboyFat is impossible to fit.

Finally, can anybody tell me if the ride height using  159654 is the same as with 159640 or will the car stand higher or is it just a stiffer spring. The one fitted to my car feels soft and would explain the excessive understeer.

John

cliftyhanger wrote:
I suspect that table is referring to the rotoflex mk2-3 models, and has ignored the late swing-spring version. I believe that had the main leaf extra thick? not sure about the other leafs.

I'm sure you are right Clive. I've just dug out the old spring that was originally fitted to the car and it is 5 leaf.

If I understand correctly SlimboyFat works at Canley's. Anybody know his real name or when I ring Canley's shall I just ask for SlimboyFat  :)

3141 wrote:
I'm sure you are right Clive. I've just dug out the old spring that was originally fitted to the car and it is 5 leaf.

If I understand correctly SlimboyFat works at Canley's. Anybody know his real name or when I ring Canley's shall I just ask for SlimboyFat  :)

Phone Canley's and ask for Dave....  ;)

John, if your original swinger has the 2 bot leaves thick as all the others, then its a GT one
if it aint,and the bottom 2 are thinner, are of a Spitty.

If its gone weak, then its no suprise as its gotta be  35 +  years old.
but can be made stiffer by either a new one, correct for the GT,NOT a Spitty one.
or you can take the two top small leafs oot, and put in longer ones from the bottom leaves
thus stiffening it up.  I put a extra leaf in the one below just for that but to make a swinger into a non swinger, as an experiment,

the middle leaf hear is of  a Spitty , see hoo its nut as thick.

M

796 wrote:
John, if your original swinger has the 2 bot leaves thick as all the others, then its a GT one
if it aint,and the bottom 2 are thinner, are of a Spitty.

If its gone weak, then its no suprise as its gotta be  35 +  years old.
but can be made stiffer by either a new one, correct for the GT,NOT a Spitty one.

M

It's definitely a Spitty spring and it was supplied new for my rebuild but the suppliers maintain that this spring is the one they offer for the MK3 non roto GT6. The car doesn't sit low at the back but the spring is too soft. It is only now that I have discovered by having done a search that it is the wrong spring and that I should have been supplied with is part number 159654 but it is only stocked by Canley's and Rimmers.

• 5 weeks later...

Just to complete the story, Canley's made in Sheffield spring part number 159654 is now fitted and what a difference it has made not only to the bottoming out problem but also in reducing  understeer to a level that is quite acceptable.

I'm really pleased that I bit the bullet and did the swap.

John

Did it myself two years ago John and never looked back. I had converted to swing spring from Mk1 fixed spring using the Spitfire spring, but after a few years of bottoming out I bought a NOS GT6 spring from Chic Doig which cured the ride problems completely. Despite getting older and larger ever since I can still go over bumps knowing I'll still have an exhaust at the other side...

490 wrote:
Did it myself two years ago John and never looked back. I had converted to swing spring from Mk1 fixed spring using the Spitfire spring, but after a few years of bottoming out I bought a NOS GT6 spring from Chic Doig which cured the ride problems completely. Despite getting older and larger ever since I can still go over bumps knowing I'll still have an exhaust at the other side...

Isn't it a nice feeling when you do a mod and the benefits are measurable and lasting

Archived