Transmission tunnel/propshaft clearance

bxbodger

I'vebeen tracking down a weird vibration problem which only occurs when there's a passanger in the car...............it appears to be that some heavy haded half-wit :B while doing battle with a stuck handbrake pivot bent the tunnel slightly where the handbrake handle sits- this caused it to make gentle contact with the propshaft when someone's sat in the passanger seat, only a slight amount of normal body flex-enough to cause a horrendous vibe however.

I've pushed it back by judicious use of a jack, but there still isn't much clearance......vibes have stopped I don't suppose there is meant to be much of a gap anyway, but I'd like to know if there's not meant to be much and it's now right or was right before the oaf :B and his hammer got busy.

Does anyone know how much of a gap there should be between the handbrake housing and the propshaft on an O/D equipped Vitesse? Thanks!

On my car in its various forms and previously on my Herald with single rail/J-type clearance has always been very very tight here.  In fact the Herald used to 'graunch' when going over rough surfaces with a weighty passenger until I modifed the mounting arrangements to lower it.

On the Vitesse with J-type I had to lower the back of the box as far as I could to avoid this problem but I was never really sure how it was 'meant' to be as this is obviously a non-standard installation!  With the Toyota W58 its's now a good as it has ever been partly because the shape of that box helps clearnace at the rear and allows me to sit it low and partly because I was determined to reduce the propshaft angle as much as possible.  There is still less than 10mm clearance unladen though.  May be worth using a well placed block between floor and chassis to prevent excess sag?

Cheers

Nick

The gap is very tight.  My Vitesse used to complain if I pushed it very hard into corners, accelerated quickly as well as when carrying a heavy passenger.

Was fixed by Mike Papworth a while back.  It was the strenghtening for the handbrake touching on the prop.

Make sure your engine and gearbox mounts are in good nick and not allowing too much movement.

Much the same story, when I went from "D" type to "J" type it made a horrible noise! I had to sit the rear LOW, I put the "T" shaped bracket under the chassis rails, then shimmed it up till it was optimal.
Like you Nick I have fitted the W58 as low as possible.

Simon

Cheers chaps-it appears that it is meant to be that tight then! My car left the factory without an O/D, and the J type was fitted sometime in the 80's, but it was only after I walloped the handbrake pivot that contact was made, must have been really close before that though!

A bit of jacking under the floor seems to have done the trick.

it was a weird thing to track down- it sounded for all the world like a dodgy u/j, but weight sensitive and with vibes running through the tunnel! Diagnosed by pulling the 'box cover off and poking a stick down the tunnel to see if anything was caught up in there.....followed by a squint with a mirror and torch.

Archived