GT6 Suspension Towers

John Bonnett

Quoted from Alex
I thought herald were different to vitesse?

Vitesse and late Herald, and all GT6 used the same (part # 305592-305593)
Early Herald's used a different part number (303590) - although I'm not sure what the difference was
All Spits used 305746-305747 with the different engine mounting position

Quoted from npanne

Early Herald's used a different part number (303590) - although I'm not sure what the difference was

The Mk1 Herald parts have no provision for engine mounting, hence they're not handed - very easy to spot these.

The Spitfire turrets allow the engine to sit lower, rather than the other way around. All others share the same design, though there are slight detail differences according to year.
The difference is obvious with both available to compare, but descriptions can be a bit woolly without a picture. Essentially the opening for the steering column has the engine mount's horizontal brace at the very top in most cases, however this is about 1/2" lower with the Spitfire, with daylight visible above,

Cheers,
Bill.

Quoted from npanne

Vitesse and late Herald, and all GT6 used the same (part # 305592-305593)
All Spits used 305746-305747 with the different engine mounting position

Oh yes of course it's me being a dope......I have a herald with spitfire turrets but I'm fitting a 6.
That's what confused me as I remembered mine were wrong.

Quoted from John Bonnett
Having found a Spitfire tower and compared it with a GT6 one the easy way to check is the size of the engine mount bolt holes. 1/2 inch clearance for GT6 and 3/8 inch for Spitfire.

I wouldn't rely on that, the relative heights of the mountings are what's really relevant,

Cheers,
Bill.