Interesting rear suspension

gravelrash

Quoted from Nick Jones
Probably quite good for weight distribution (if not overall weight) as  a Jag IRS probably weighs as much as a X-flow.

Nick

I was just thinking that.

I was actually doing a bit of googling to try and find the weight of a Jag IRS so I can estimate what it'd do to a Spitfire, but damned if I can find anything other than 'bloody heavy' or 'about 350lbs' which isn't quite good enough.

I've got to pull mine out again to replace some bearings I should have replaced last time it was out so I'll weigh it then.

Could be a quick way to 50/50 weight distribution not as quick as a paving slab in the boot though

Quoted from Nick Jones
Probably quite good for weight distribution (if not overall weight) as  a Jag IRS probably weighs as much as a X-flow.

Nick

The X-Flow does sit about a foot behind the front axle line and the gearbox is well between the driver and passengers legs, so I'm not sure, but then I've never had the car on the corner scales...

Quoted from BiTurbo228
Coming from experience swapping an LSD into my XJ40, the only thing you'll break on a Jag rear end is your back while moving it.

The LSD diff alone weighed 48kg!

I have a complete rear suspension assembly from an XJR in my back garden, and there it will be staying as 2 of us trying to the point of damage failed to move it even an inch.

I think it last moved hanging off the forks on the front of a tractor.

It's not german it's Swedish  and translates to this.....

Fallen asleep Spitfire projects, shut down since 1982. Sharpen your welding skills and finishing this beauty and run nedcabbat to spring! Floor, thresholds, base bytade, but still a lot of sheet metal and welding jobs. Not fully complete but is much on the web and the nytillverkas lots of parts in England. All vehicle documents. Call or e-mail, and add an offer! Reserve the right to sell to the I WANT. Interested belongs.

Quoted from GT6 M
Just where does it say Jag back end,!!!
and that rear end dont look like a jag cross member,
AND if it were, then why is there so much rear positive camber !!!

M

It doesn't just side-tracking the conversation...

Quoted from kusanagi
Looking at the photo the diff might be from a triumph saloon with its trailing arm suspension with has had coilovers fitted to custom upper mounts which are welded on to the original shock mounting points.

That is interesting. If so, I wonder how they've tied in the outer eye of the trailing arm. It's pretty far from the chassis of a Spit and although the sills are structural they're not very structural...