Suspension Upgrade

Pete PiEst

Hi All,
At some point I will be upgrading the shocks on the barge. My aim is to make it a bit tauter, I don't want to lower it (it would never get on the drive!) just beef it up a bit so that it doesn't wallow in the corners quite as much. It's got poly bushes all round and the standard front ARB.
At the moment the rears are KYB's (about 6 years old) and the fronts of unknown vintage / quality. Springs are, as far as I'm aware, standard Estate versions.
Have been looking around t'web and Gaz appear to be a good balance between cost and specs and they have the added bonus of being adjustable on the car.
Anyone have suggestions / brands, springs / rates?
How easy / hard it is to change the front inserts?
Cheers,
Pete

Hello Pete,

I don't have any recommendations as to what shock absorbers, although I am pleased with the Konis I have on my car.

The front inserts are fairly easy to replace. You do need some good spring compressors to dismantle and assemble the unit. The other hurdle is to unscrew the collar that keeps the insert in place in the strut. Usually they can be drifted undone and the new ones can be tapped back in the same manner. It is better if you can borrow or make a spanner however. Be careful as the threads are very fine and are easily damaged. Also add some engine oil to the strut once the insert is in place as this helps with heat transfer.

Alec

Oil Cooler is on a back burner at the mo... although the pressure seems a bit more variable since the trackday... seems to take a bit longer to get pressure, when it's cold around 70 once warmed up and running around 40 - 50 idles anywhere from 20 -35.
On the Koni front are there variants or just one type for saloons?
Cheers

Hello Pete,

I fitted an oil cooler to my car some years ago and also an oil temperature gauge. If I had just fitted the gauge it would have told me that I don't need an oil cooler, the oil just doesn't get that hot.

If you want one for track days etc, just be sure to get an oil thermostat as well as most times the oil is too cold.

Alec

piman wrote:
Hello Pete,

I fitted an oil cooler to my car some years ago and also an oil temperature gauge. If I had just fitted the gauge it would have told me that I don't need an oil cooler, the oil just doesn't get that hot.

If you want one for track days etc, just be sure to get an oil thermostat as well as most times the oil is too cold.

Alec

10CR I watched my oil temp hit 100+ deg and the pressure drop right off when I had to loop the cooler out - But would agree with Piman its not very often you need one only in extremes but that "Andora day" was an extreme!

Archived