Laquering Motolita steering wheel?

molten

Don't know what varnish they would use on the wood wheels originally, but yacht varnish is durable!

You would get a better finish if you was to spray it once the prep work was finished.

Has yours faded, or is it lifting/cracking?

I restored an original Formula type wheel on my car, I used standard Wilko Clear Varnish and a decent paint brush?

The secret was lot's of coats and rub down in between each coat with fine wire wool or fine sand paper.

It came out ok, for saying it only cost me a £1 at an Austin 7 Rally Autojumble ;)

Gary

From my theatre organ restoration days:  the console cabinetry always had to be clear lacquer, but even for the purists, the tops of the benches were best done with spray clear polyurethane.  Sanded/steel wooled between coats, it comes out looking like lacquer.  

The considerations are:  when that day comes when wood must again be refinished, next year or 60 years down the road, lacquer can be removed with chemical strippers leaving the wood unreduced & unmarred beneath.  But if polyurethane is scratched, it all must be sanded off, down to the wood, a miserable job that takes a bit of the wood with it.  However, as bench tops are high-traffic, the more durable polyurethane holds up a lot longer/better to folks sliding across with keys, rivets in their jeans, etc.

Steering wheels seem to get more bumped up, nicked & scratched than would be expected even when careful, so I'd strongly consider polyurethane.  I'd just hate to have to be the one to refinish it when that day came.  Especially if it's got knobbly little finger arches.

If it were something with a thin veneer, like a dashboard, I wouldn't use it, as sanding off polyurethane could easily result in having to re-veneer anyway.

Also to consider is that polyurethane is mighty slick & slippery.  Many a hearty laugh has been evoked by seeing someone enthusiastically slide onto a polyurethaned bench & keep on going right off the other side.  Sweaty palms on a polyurethaned steering wheel could yield entertainment on a hot day, too.

For the best compromise among manageable surface, wear durability, weather resistance, & refinishability, marine varnish could be the thing.