Greasing Swingaxle Hubs - Hole/No Hole!

rlubikey

So, this afternoon I'm greasing the rear hubs on the Spit for the first time (I've only been a Triumph owner for 25 years!) so I insult the workshop manual.

Quoted from Workshop Manual
Apply gun until grease exudes from the bearing.
After the shenanigans of getting the grease gun working, I apply a few strokes - no grease from the back of the bearing. A few more ... ! So, I'm up to 25 strokes and ... nothing. I take the wheel off and the drum. I know that's a gotcha, grease coming out inside the drum. Then I notice a pile of grease on top of the hub. Thanks a bunch Triumph w/s manual for telling me about the hole!!!!

OK, now I know. Start on the other side with wheel already off so I can see the grease emerging. After about 20 strokes I'm getting worried. Poking around the crud, I can't find the hole. Scratch right across the area and ... NO HOLE! Then I see the grease has indeed exited on the brake side but at least the internal cover has guided it down and out through the back plate.

So ... advice please oh sage ones.
1) The hole in the hub, was it optional or does it indicate a cheap pattern part?
2) Do I remove the brakes, cover, etc. and clean the grease out or will the cover do its job?

Cheers, Richard

Thanks guys

Quoted from Dogsbody47uk
Sounds as though the inner oil seals have been fitted the wrong way round. On swing axle models the lips of the inner seal should face the diff, so that excess grease comes out towards the diff and not into the brake drum. Cheers, Dave.

Sounds like it doesn't it! Oh well, see if I can borrow the Churchill tool of my local group and change the seal round.

Quoted from Pete Lewis
My book says give 4 pumps   not 20
The only hole ? Im aware of is the drain for any excess out via the backplate  as you have found
but this is really  for leakage disposal  away from the shoes rather than a filling guide

pete

My 1500 Spit Repair Operation Manual is the 2 pages on 1 reprint and deffo. says "until grease comes out" - no mention of how many strokes. I did 5 strokes and had a good look, then another 5, etc.

So anyway, when I take the hub apart, is it worth adding the hole as I'm guessing it defines the route for fresh grease, from the nipple, through the bearing, and out. What do you think?

Cheers, Richard

Reversed seals is a very common problem, the root of it comes from some incorrect diagrams in official literature. I've seen them done this way on recon units from major Triumph suppliers, about 50% of those I work on seem to have the seals reversed.

While it's not an ideal situation, as Dogsbody47uk says, it's something which can be lived with as long as we know about it. Grease doesn't exit into the drum when in use, it's only during the greasing operation. I suppose grease could exude if the bearing overheated, in which case you'll have plenty of other stuff to worry about at the same time.

Cheers,
Bill.