Encom

Okay this question has most likely been asked a 1000 times, but how many variations are there to Vitesse gearbox 1/2 hubs?

I can find new ones with 33 teeth, but mine has 34 teeth.

It also begs the question as to weather or not the 21 tooth reverse pinon I need to order will fit. I assume the the mean diameter of the 33 and the 34 ones are the same?

Please help!

Toyota W50 is starting to look good :)

If you can find a T50 or W58 box for reasonable money you should also get on to Colin Dray at Conversion Components and get it done.  Will likely cost more than sorting the Triumph box but should be a one-off fit and forget.

I'm afraid I don't know the definitive answer to your original question but

Vitesse 6 are different (3 synchro)
Vitesse 2L/GT6 I think have a couple of variations dependent on year (angle of some gear teeth is also different)
Early Dolly 1850 with J-type possibly the same as later variant of the above
Later Dolly 1850/TR7 single rail different again with some Marina parts also vaguely interchangeable

Bit of a mine field - what are you actually starting with?  It may have been apart before of course......

Nick

Nick, the T50 looks like a good option, seems a bit smaller then the W50. And I know the T50 fits as I had one behind a 4AGE in a 13/60 saloon.

I tried the W50 in the car this morning, what a lump!!! It seems to fit pretty good, but the bell housing is from a saloon, so will have issues with the clutch mech.

Current thinking is to get the Triumph box sorted, then when it comes time to drop the 2.7 litre engine in do the conversion then.

The Triumph box has its flaws but I do like the way the old girl changes gear. Found it particularly good on the 13/60 wagon.

Pete, cheers. So if I order a 33 tooth one (and a new 21 tooth reverse pinon) I should be sweet.

Would this explain why the change into second was never as good as the others? Had to get it just right for a smooth feeling and sounding changes, the others perfect.

T50 is a good box and strong enough for the Triumph 6 in most forms.  Very rare here in UK.

W5x series are bigger and stronger (good for 300bhp) but do fit without any serious hacking around.  You want the W58 ideally (close ratio but tall 5th) which happen to be the most common one in the UK due to use in the Supra.  W57 is nearly as good but shorter 5th.  Beware the other variants (ie W56) as they tend to be from light commercials (2wd Hilux) with low 1st & 2nd gear.

Triumph box has nice ratios and nice change when properly built, just not very strong or hard wearing though that can be improved a bit by using parts from later 1850/TR7.  D type can be retained by using special mainshafts (I think they are still available)

Having said that, I find that the W58 ratios with 3.63 diff work very nicely in my 2L Vitesse.

Nick

i found the mix and  match in a stock scrap box from a supplier, someone had spent a good few £££s and used all the wrong parts
no wonder it never turned a wheel and guess traded in as core, .....

the mainshaft spigot had been repaired by grinding a bore in the mainshaft and adding a  nice ground slug to replace the spigot,,,
looked nice but was all left loose so the spigot end had mangled the bore in the stemwheel...all pretty awfull.

Pete