• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To those of you sitting out in cyber space imagine its Saturday October 3rd 2020 at between 0630 and 0730 and you are in your Trump having driven some 600 or so miles through the night . Your left leg is 'Glowing' from contact with the transmission tunnel behind which is a volcanically hot gearbox, your right leg is cool by comparison. The engine is purring, and having dismissed the various new noises that you've picked up on all night you are at last at one with your machine! Looking to your right you can see the winking lights of oil platforms out to sea and as day arrives the fantastic Scottish coast at dawn. You have heard of, or remember the legend of the John O Groats sausage and you are looking forwards to a breakfast break knowing that after your repast you will be starting the most spectacular part of the event as the convoy heads for Betty Hill and the beautiful ride through to Altnaharra.  Ooh I cant wait !

I'm not the only one on here lol, the machine just slowed down a bit no doubt because there are a few of us up looking awaiting it to go live! In the meantime lets remember the leg from what was Skiach 2 and will be Shin Falls  through to Ben Nevis, Fort William and the spectacular Glencoe  This stretch of two lane blacktop winds through pine forests and hugs the northern shoreline of Loch Ness . It tends to be driven err... enthusiastically as the roads are nice with good cambers and visibility, I've got some nice convoy shots along this stretch in the past and one year I stopped and snapped a few cars coming through.      

Oh yeah, heading to Fort William . Now I've been to Scotland a few times now and every time I've visited the UK's highest peak, I have never actually managed to see it! Is it perpetually shrouded in Cumulus clouds? hopefully I will get a glimpse in 2020 ! … Nothing on here yet so I'm going to the kettle!.....

Now sitting back down with a cuppa . I think you might be right Jim and a new events tag may appear for RBRR 2020. One of the frustrations on the RBRR can be traffic on this section especially if you get stuck behind a commercial vehicle, the time of day does not help . In 2016 I did the run with Steve Radley in Gertie and to extract us from traffic and recoup, we had an extended cream tea stop just south of Fort William followed by a spirited run to Morrisons.  If this goes quiet I have nodded off for a bit !  

We all have different ways of coping with the tiredness factor on the RBRR, one of the best factors is having confidence in your co drivers. I have been very fortunate in this regard over the years and now have a settled team who know the car intimately. I find that the first leg up to Scotland is the hardest to get to sleep on as the adrenaline is pumping so to prepare I always take the Friday off and try to get the best night's sleep beforehand. After Saturday breakfast the scenery is spectacular and the driver will need to be focused as the roads can be challenging. passengers should sleep whenever they can, if you have someone that can nod off easily then encourage them to do so as they may be needed on the long hard road from Sterling, Southwards to Lancaster services. This is a section that is unrelenting with a lot of motorways to cope with, in my opinion it is rivalled only by the M5 / A.30 section through Devon and Cornwall which has given rise to the legendary Gordano stare … a condition known to RBRR crews for 50 + years !