Anything on the RBRR in national press yet?

That, I think, was the funniest piece of TV I have seen in such a long time! Very good comedy. A comedy of errors. I suppose it goes to show that simple is best. I mean Hammond's creation was so complex, heavy and naff. It was probably the funniest of the 3. Clarkson's was hilarious as it was so 'him' and May's was just right. Typically there was hardly a breath of wind just to make the victory all that better and when he started the Herald up, that was the icing on the cake.

Class!

neil (nearly at 500 postings! :D)

Ha ha! Can you imagine the Hamster, Captain Slow and POWER Clarkson all sharing a car for 48 hours solid...

Now that would be brilliant TV!!

Neil, I think you're getting a bit excited about the whole 500 posts thing! :P 

It's like a drug you know.  When you get there it will feel a bit dull and you'll only think about the next hit, 1000 posts!

*Laughs maniacally while rocking forwards and backwards* Its alright only 36 more posts and you'll be there John.  Everything will be better then...

Well that's just like telling a child not to press 'that button'. I mean you sit there for ages thinking 'Daddy told me whatever I do I shouldn't press the button so I wonder why.............. well I won't ever know why not until I do.................... Oh well here goes.............' [face=Arial]Bang!!!![/face]

Then at least, after being chastised, I will have found out that it is the light switch and not the button that could start WWII/III/IV (please delete depending on which you think is the most appropriate nomenclature for the next serious conflict)

Mmmmm, 2 more to go! Well I could try playing word association game a littel more.

sad or what ::)

neil

John,
The TG Team on the RBRR - as you say, brilliant TV!
As it's 10CR next year, that too.

How do you pitch an idea to them?
Write to the Production team?
According to the TG website (http://www.topgear.com/content/contactus/) the contact address is top.gear@bbc.co.uk

Go on - you know it makes sense!

John

*Prac Classics December issues spoilers ahead!*

The RBRR gets a mention in this months Practical Classics (December?).
The editor mentions talking to CT member 'Malc' about his Herald 1200,
then there is a picture of some cars on the RBRR

I am sure C&SC will have a better article.

Additionally in the GT6 resto they visit Jigsaw for thier engine, where 'Mark Field has spent 2/3rd of his life building some of the best engines in the business' and he later boasts he has never had a Payen HG fail!
Sounds like a good place to get yer engine done!

And also the vote for the colour of the GT' is in, and Signal Red won, much to Tims chagrin I'm sure. Personally I would have like to see it in Valencia, but hey!

Sorry lads the Malc is me. It should have read Vitesse not Herald. I had the red one on The Run. I sent several pics and that was the one he chose. I have also done an article ,at the editors request, ( obviously desperate ) which hopefully will appear in a future issue. This all started when they featured my car in the May 06 Practical Classics mag. It should also have read "exhausted but exhilirated" not knackered and uplifted. I have sent himm atrite e-mail re thiese matters. Malc.

[quote by=jimio link=Blah.pl?b=rbrgen,m=1161868906,s=9 date=1161884181]*
Additionally in the GT6 resto they visit Jigsaw for thier engine, where 'Mark Field has spent 2/3rd of his life building some of the best engines in the business' and he later boasts he has never had a Payen HG fail![/quote]

It's a great place for balancing too  :X

[quote by=malcty link=Blah.pl?b=rbrgen,m=1161868906,s=10 date=1161886063]Sorry lads the Malc is me. It should have read Vitesse not Herald. I..... I have sent himm atrite e-mail re thiese matters. Malc.[/quote]

Not your fault chap, if you send him copy and this is how he uses it then you can't be to blame.
Shame they didn't do a fuller article, though I have noticed PC do skin over a lot of the facts on occasion. As can be attested by the largish 'errata' column the feature each month!

I was going to go over and have a chat with the Prac. Classics team at the NEC about going for red as the colour of their GT6 resto- unfortunately no sign of the magazine/emap at the show- bit weird.

Red pah!
I hope that Retro Cars GT6 mk2 resto car is painted a different colour.

Top Gear on the RBRR- Fills me with dread- I am sure that they would turn the event into some sort of trivial 5 minute slot on their programme- Clarkson would be a whinging git by the Sunday morning (Bit like me!).
I like the way that the RBRR seems to have nothing to do with modern times and the weekend seems like a step back in time- maybe this is why the M25 section and all its activity seems so grim and almost shocking. The RBRR is a weird event, in a way it seems quite slow and relaxed, when in fact its frantic!

Scotland on a Saturday afternoon and no one around- marvellous!

Right, back to work!

So we're agreed: The Top Gear crew on RBRR wouldn't be a good idea? I agree with what you said Tim, and although I havn't done the RBRR yeat (roll on 2008! (speaking of which does anyone have a Herald 13/60 estate resto project?) I imagine that it is probably a highlight of alot of peoples years.

I know that Karl's co-pilot (I do mean pilot, not driver!) has hardly stopped talking about it scince. So in 2008 expect to see 2 more younguns doing RBRR, 13/60 estate and 1200 convertible... I really can't wait, and it's still 2 years away!

**calms down from excitement**

I see your point Tim and Jonny about Top Gear trivialising things down.  It is a shame. They could build the show to even greater heights if they were a little less shallow in some of their exploits!

Nevertheless I still reckon the premis of those 3 in a car for 48 hours is a goodun! ;D

Yes Jonny, the RBRR is the best thing since.........the car was invented!! 

It hasn't just been the highlight of my year, it's the highlight of my driving career to this point! ;D  It's given me such a zeal to get out there and drive my car more.  Before I let my lack of any real mechanical knowledge scare me off enjoying it.

I have much more respect for it now, I'm not scared it's going to break down in 5 miles time and I love it! Huge grin every time I drive it now. ;D

If they were to do it, I think they aught to do it in a GT6, with Hammond folded up into the tiny little back seats.

I already have a feeling that something will go kaput on my first RBRR, I have a feeling it'll be a headgasket or something along those lines!

Ah well, still have 2 years to buy the car, build the car, crash the car, then rebuild the car again :D I canna wait!

I may even have persuaded up to 4 people to buy a Triumph to do RBRR, My Dad, Brother, and two friends. That then leaves me the problem of being able to find a co-driver(s)...

Archived